victoriabunny

Charlie the lurcher's dew claws

My lovely lurcher Charlie keeps hurting his dew claws (the fleshy ones on the back of his front legs which don't actually have a nail coming out of them - don't know if they are official dew claws or not, but you know what I mean!). The problem is, he has such long skinny legs that the fleshy pads stick out a lot, and when I throw his ball for him he goes tearing after it and skids to a halt, which rips the skin off his dew claws :(

The poor dog's done it a few times now and then has to spend days only walking on his lead and wearing a buster collar so he can't lick them, which makes him miserable. I don't know what to do - I could just not throw his ball, but he is seriously obsessed with it and as soon as I let him off his lead he's asking for the ball to be thrown and gets such pleasure out of it - he could seriously play fetch all day! I am very careful to only throw his ball for him on grass but even so he still hurts his legs. Is it possible for the claws to be removed? I think he's just going to keep injuring them otherwise...anyone had any experience of this?

We have this problem with Roxy who actually does have claws on her dew claws (?!) They don't wear down naturally in the same way as her other claws and despite getting them trimmed regularly she is always catching them and hurting herself. I really wish I'd asked for them to be removed when she was spayed but I was worried it was unnatural and cruel. :cry:

Hi, thanks for the pic! I meant "E" - I know it's not strictly a dewclaw but I don't know what else to call it! Charlie's are really prominent on both front legs and he's always catching them. I wouldn't want him to have an op just to remove them, but I'm wondering if he ever needs surgery for anything else if it's worth asking for them to be done? Like you surferdog, I obviously don't want to do it if it's cruel though - but he is always taking the skin off them :(

Victoriabunny, what you are talking about are definately not dew claws.

E is the dog's carpal pad and as far as I am aware it cannot be removed.

Maybe you could get some advice from your vet about how to harden them up to stop them being ripped so easily.

I agree with Gamebird - this is the carpal pad and cannot be removed. However, I think you can get protective rubbery bandage things (obviously I have no idea what they are called!) to stop your poor lurcher hurting himself. I think they are used by agilty dogs and in flyball etc and with mountain rescue dogs. i guess a google search may help. good luck.

oooh I can help with this one! We had a similar problem come into the vets. I think that the vet advised trying to toughen up the pad with surgical spirit but as Pickled Egg said get hold of some rubberised bandage from the vet - shouldn't cost much for a box of the stuff. Its usually comes in bright different colours & won't adheare to the dogs fur but sticks to itself easily just wrap a bit around before you go out & chuck it away when you get in. Any Vet should sell you a roll to have a go - shouldn't be more than £1.

We used leg wraps for our labradoodle who had exactly the same problem see

http://www.dogbootsactive.com/dogpag/support.htm

He seemed to grow out of it at about 18 months old - dont know if his pads hardened or if his jumping became more sensible. He did look very smart in them though - this company make them to the size of the dogs legs and there is no sticky bit actually on the pad.

Good luck