Olly Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 Great thread, and I agree absolutely. Prudence has been a good friend to me! I despair when I hear people say 'ooh, we'll just let her have one litter' (puppies/kittens) - all my cats have been spayed at the earliest possible stage. There are enough unwanted kittens around without adding to them - no offence to you Aunty E., you're undertaking it properly and spending a lot of money on it, but there are lots of people who just don't bother. I really, really hope that we are not going to see a rash of 'home needed' posts on here in future, as people decide that they can't cope with chickens or can't stand the impact on their gardens. Very well said, Claret. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 what happened to my lovely pic of gordon brown - the man who made Prudence so famous??? Phil Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 I dare say it was removed as it seemed odd in the middle of a thread of some seriousness. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 I dare say it was removed as it seemed odd in the middle of a thread of some seriousness. ahh - the hats ones will go too?? Phil Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 My OH works with someone who goes through small pets at an alarming rate. We have thought carefully about every animal that has ever come to live with us. We would like to have a dog one day but realise at the moment that it just wouldn't fit with our lifestyle and other animals. There are bound to be some people who will get animals that inappropriate to their lifestyle as a result of the many going green items in the press, but hopefully the overall trend will be towards better welfare and more understanding. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 I dare say it was removed as it seemed odd in the middle of a thread of some seriousness. ahh - the hats ones will go too?? Phil I doubt it as there was some text and references, and not just a random picture of the Prime Minister. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 10, 2008 Author Share Posted June 10, 2008 Phil, I removed it as I couldn't for the life of me understand why a random picture of Gordon Brown had appeared in the thread. Now that you've explained, I can understand why you posted it. I assumed that you had posted in error. frenchlayer... red hat? Do they have the same sayign in France? 'Red hat and no knickers?' Ilike it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 Perhaps if you'd explained the significance of the photo, Phil instead of just dropping Gordon Brown into the middle of a thread, people might have understood the reference . As it stood, it made no sense whatsoever. - Cross posted there, Clare Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 Perhaps if you'd explained the significance of the photo, Phil instead of just dropping Gordon Brown into the middle of a thread, people might have understood the reference . As it stood, it made no sense whatsoever. in that case a full apology.. I thought it was what Gordon was MOST famous for. (would have been nice to have a PM explaining why it was removed though..) Phil Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 10, 2008 Author Share Posted June 10, 2008 (would have been nice to have a PM explaining why it was removed though..) Phil As I said, I just assumed that you'd posted in error. I'm afraid that I don't have the time to PM everyone whose posts need editing or deleting. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 I thought it was what Gordon was MOST famous for. Noooo, there will be a lot more things Gordon will be remembered for, I'm sure . (would have been nice to have a PM explaining why it was removed though..) Sorry to go off topic here, Clare, but the forum's so big now, Phil, with so many members that there's not always time to PM people about minor edits, I'm afraid. If it's something major, we definitely would send an explanatory PM but as Clare thought that you'd posted the photo in error, I agree with her decision not to waste time PMing you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 (would have been nice to have a PM explaining why it was removed though..) Phil As I said, I just assumed that you'd posted in error. I'm afraid that I don't have the time to PM everyone whose posts need editing or deleting. OK - fair enough - hope you don't mind me asking when it does happen then, I was puzzled cos it was not offensive and didn't seem to break any of the new forum guidelines, Phil Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 10, 2008 Author Share Posted June 10, 2008 That's fine Phil, feel free to ask away Now, where were we....? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Frugal Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 I had to work on LSH for ages to get him to agree to having hens so lots of research into the pros and cons went on before we even started looking around for coops. We've got such a tiny garden that we needed to know if the hens would be noisy or smelly or if there was even enough room to keep them but after reading loads of books, we made the right decision. We were going to add 2 more hens to our little flock of 6 but prudence came for a visit and we decided to leave things as they are as the girls are all so happy together - why upset the apple cart!! We've also got more eggs than we know what to do with so it's prudent not to add to the mountain, isn't it . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 10, 2008 Author Share Posted June 10, 2008 I remember a similar stage Kate - I could recall my grandparents old wooden houses and cleanig them out, so Our Pru' came to visit and I put the idea of hens on a back burner for a while.. until I saw an ORANGE EGLU Suddenly it all seemed my more .. errr... Prudent. I'd love even more hens, but the garden really wouldn't support it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phonix Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 I totally agree with everything that has been said on this thread. Some of you will notice that ive been lurking (and occasionally posting) for quite a while now but still no chickens in my signature - well i havent got them yet because I don't feel that I know enough to have them and feel confident that I am doing everything correctly. So im just going to keep lurking and learning for now and I think maybe next year might be the year for me to get chucks wooo! This forum seems brilliant for anyone who has a problem that arises suddenly and you need an answer but like many of you have said it is worrying when people LET events happen and then ask for advice afterwards rather than ask the questions BEFORE! I understand that some things are totally unforeseeable and im sure that this time next year i'll still be here and i'll be asking a million questions but I do hope that ive been PRUDENT enough to ask about the basics BEFORE I put the lives of my chooks in danger. Sorry for the rant Stacey Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 This forum seems brilliant for anyone who has a problem that arises suddenly and you need an answer but like many of you have said it is worrying when people LET events happen and then ask for advice afterwards rather than ask the questions BEFORE! I understand that some things are totally unforeseeable and im sure that this time next year i'll still be here and i'll be asking a million questions but I do hope that ive been PRUDENT enough to ask about the basics BEFORE I put the lives of my chooks in danger. Well said and my view echoes yours exactly. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 how in the name of all things fluffy did I miss this???? couldn't agree more Clare!!!!!! have to say it gets my goat when people get animals before they have done research or know who's going to look after them when they go on holiday etc etc... now about this hat... I lOVE it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 10, 2008 Author Share Posted June 10, 2008 Good for you Stacey. Have you thought about attending one of the chicken keeping courses? They're a great help in deciding and for answering questions. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phonix Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 thanks guys - Eglutine - im glad you actually understood what i was writing - there's hope for me yet lol Claret im def thinking of attending one BUT ive just got to fit it in - i think that as soon as im settled for the summer (and find another job ) I'll try to sort one out - been really busy with uni until the past couple of week. x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 thanks guys - Eglutine - im glad you actually understood what i was writing - there's hope for me yet lol Clear as crystal! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phonix Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 thanks Eglutine... I do law at the mo but mjy mum seems to think that never mind baffling people with legal jargon, no-one will ever know what im saying as i can't speak english without going the long way round lol x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 You will make an excellent solicitor then. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phonix Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 hehe lol Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surferdog Posted June 10, 2008 Share Posted June 10, 2008 Well said Clare Might be worth posting as a sticky? Things to think about BEFORE you get chickens. There is a similar one on another forum. http://www.poultrychat.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8022 I think it is going to be a problem (a bit like all the dalmations that got sent to rescue centres after the craze for them when the film came out a few years ago). I researched for two years before getting mine (and took me that long to convince OH) and reserved some several months in advance to do the physical preparation. When we went to collect our original choices were not available. The breeder told me that demand had gone throught the roof but it takes at least 6 months to 'supply' a chicken at point of lay. Six months ago there simply wasn't the demand there is today and if this level of demand does not continue there will be an awful lot of surplus chickens in another six months. It's great that everybody wants to keep chickens - I just hope they realise what they're in for. We had far more problems than I had anticipated in spite of all the research. (Well I had anticipated them just not all in the first 6 weeks ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...