Lewis

Help with baby crow

This morning there was a baby crow in my garden. After I got home from school it was still there sitting on the patio. I went out and he just sat there.

At the moment he is sitting in an open pet carrier with some mixed corn and a bowl of water in the greenhouse. There is a panel missing in the roof so he could fly off, but cats cant get in.

My mom saw his parent earlier, but I haven't seen them.

Any ideas? I'm hoping he will find his parents and fly off later.

I would try not to interfere if it can be helped. From what i understand (not a lot :lol: ) parents kick the babies out of the nest so the can learn to fly as it's easier to fly upwards from the ground than it is to fly after falling out of the tree. Did that make sense?

Anyway, i would just keep an eye that the bird is safe from cats and that he is being fed by Mum. Other than that, let nature take it's course.

I'd agree with what HW has said. We often have baby birds in the garden with no sign of Mum or Dad but they are usually around somewhere. If there's no sign of them and you're sure the bird is abandoned, why not give the RSPCA a call? They'll have the best advice on what to do - http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=wildlifeadvice&marker=1&articleId=1024473290418 Tel 0300 1234999

The RSPB have this advice - Baby Birds

The crow has no head :o :

2573181621_9edd968db5_m.jpg

:lol:

2573165399_87124a995f_m.jpg

I put him in a spare old guinea pig hutch with a perch and a few worms. He didn't touch the worms, and I tried the 'dangly above head' trick.

2573167511_f4ceb11333_m.jpg

2573986272_fa1a8c1b0e_m.jpg

There were 4 adults that came back, and he jumped out of the hutch onto the top. After about an hour and a half of jumping up and down he managed to get up on top of the fence, where he is still sitting now.

2573179081_5b24ddba45_m.jpg

The adults have disappeared again but I'm sure they'll be back. I'm off school on study leave so can keep an eye out tomorrow.