Miss Marple

How do I get grit into my chickens?

:?:

I am collecting Miss Marple and two friends tomorrow, they are ex battery hens. I know that they need mash and other stuff that I have read about to keep them fed and healthy, but I don't know how I get them to eat the grit. Someone has said that she puts a dish of it in their coop so they can help themselves, but I am wondering if you can give it in the food, would this be easier, or would it be dangerous? This may seem a silly question to those of you who know what your doing, but it is something that has been puzzling me. I am a complete novice when it comes to hen keeping so any advice would be very welcome.

Thank you :?

Normally in a separate bowl - mixed grit contains stones they use like teeth to break up their food and shell grit which they use for making egg sheel. They do seem to take what they need and can pick out the two different types - clever chickens!

Tracy

I put mixed grit in a separate feeder and they take it when they need it. They just seem to know. Clever girls, but natures good that way!

Not sure about sea shells, I just buy my mixed grit from the local supplier where I purchase my other animals supplies from.

Thats fine-anything really will do.I also scatter a handfull inside the run so it gives them something to scratch about for when confined-keeps em' amused for hours! :D

As well as putting the oyster shell and chicken grit into separate containers, I sprinkle the stuff in their run amongst their aubiose. because they scratch around all day, it's good for them to be rewarded by discovering goodies hidden in the aubiose. I find it works with our hens. Also it seems natural somehow to scratch and find.