Milly

Is it better to have a cube with a run?

I have been thinking about this for ages and reading various postings on whether it is easier to move the cube with or without a run. I was surprised to find that some people think the run helps when moving the cube around, which made me wonder if I should get a run.

Prudence looking over my right shoulder says the cube is much more affordable without a run. And so many people say it's hard to get inside to do cleaning, feeding etc.

But the Prudence looking over my left shoulder worries from time to time about foxes, if there is no run. Which is silly, given that mine free range all day outside their eglu run (but inside the electric fence). And she wonders where to put the grub and glug with no run.

Can I have some opinions please?

Milly

Hi Milly

I think so long as the chooks would be secure when you had to go out and leave them such as an enclosed run you wouldnt need one.

I have a run and I open it out into another area which is enclosed with electric fencing. If I have to go out I put them back into the run where I know they are safe.

I find it quite easy to move the cube with the run on it because once you lift the run it pivots on the wheels and makes it easy to move.

Im not sure it would be that easy without but it probably would if it had handles on which it doesnt :?

Hope this helps :D

Hm, mine is quite difficult to move as I have no run so it is a bit unbalanced. But not impossible, just awkward.

But I do think you need some kind of run - even if you are 100% secure from foxes, in the event of a bird flu scare in your area, you would need to be able to get your girls into a covered run and be able to keep them there for however many weeks or months are required by DEFRA.

Edited to add: my cube is attached to a large, walk in run.

snowyhowells, haw did you attach your cube to the run.

I have got a poultry protection pen being erected at the moment,( cube arrives next week) they have left one panel without wire.

Suggestions please?

Thank you

Alison

You need to be able to move it away as access to the back involves sliding the roof forward. Mine is pushed up tight to the mesh and short bungee cords wrapped around the legs at the front and attached to the netting. (although I must admit, it often isn't fixed - it takes a good heave for me to move it with the wheels locked away, so I don't think a fox would have a chance!)

Thanks for these replies -I change my mind approximately every 5 minutes on this topic, but I really want to get on and order one as delivery takes so long.

Snowy, that's a good point about the need to cover them over in the event of a bird flu outbreak - although I'm not sure I would be happy restricting them to the Cube run as it's not very big. But in an emergency it would be better than nothing.

I thought the whole point of the Cube being on wheels was that it's supposed to be easy to move, but it doesn't sound particularly easy without any handles.

What's a poultry protection pen? Is it the same as a run?

Milly

Hm, mine is quite difficult to move as I have no run so it is a bit unbalanced. But not impossible, just awkward.

We dont like our cube for this reason (hubby hates it :roll: ) without the run its cumbersome and big and heavy to move.

I do think you need some kind of run though. ours is a walk in one, or you could get the omlet one.

Milly if you're dithering about the Omlet run like I did then why not order your cube with the run so that you get a delivery slot, & then you can always cancel the run before it's due to be dispatched if you decided to go for a walk-in run?

That's what I did.

The run does add quite a big amount to the price, but I have taken all of your advice and gone for a (purple) cube with a run. Thanks for helping me to make up my mind - even writing down the pros and cons helped.

I got a delivery date of 13 August - which seems so far away I'm trying not to think about it!

But maybe I should start looking for a couple of new additions to the flock, as they seem to be much more in demand than at this time last year........

Milly