HENthusiastic

Think I'm loosing bumble.

HI. I was too upset to write about this last week. I kind of felt guilty for not telling the omletters what was going on for me but I couldn't bear to write it down. I think I'm going to loose bumble. I took her to the vets last week and the vet said there was probably something wrong with her kidneys. I've kept her inside for a few days and given her anitbiotics and pain killers twice a day for a week. That stopped two days ago. SHe was getting better, but now I dont think she is. When I compared her to how she was before, she has improved and I get hopefull. But when I compare her to the others I realise she's really not right and I feel guilty for keeping her alive in case shes suffering. Shes a rescue hen and shes been through enough without having to suffer now. I spoke to the vet yesterday who said to bring her back in and to re-start her medication. I dont think shes going to make it. Surely she would be better by now if it had been an infection. I'm so so sad for her. When she arrived she was the most scared of me and the most aggressive. Now she is such a great girl. She is really sociable with me and my partner and is fine being held and stroked. We are giving her extra food on her own, to make sure she eats well (vet said she was underweight) and now she waits on the kitchen doorstep when she's decided its time to come in for her meal. Soo sweet. Soo sad. :cry::cry:

Sorry to hear she's not well :(

Have you tried her with some natural probiotic yoghurt with a little bit of olive oil mixed in. You could very gently syringe it into her beak or do a pellet porridge for her with it in. That can work wonders for them.

Thank you. I will get some today and try that.

Does anybody know why my post was moved? I put it in chickens because I think you often seem to get practical answers on chicken clinic and more emotional answers on chickens. Sorry if I did it wrong. I was just hoping for some emotional support so thought that would be a good place to put it.

She is eating, so it should be easy to get her to eat some probiotic yoghort and olive oil. Thanks

Hi - sorry to hear about your Bumble. :( She sounds exactly how my Rita went. We brought her inside & gave her a box with some straw in. She felt very light in weight & skinny. We were told to feed her growers pellets for a while instead of layers & to also give her some wheat. We also gave her some boiled rice - mainly food to give her energy - along with fresh water. She did get better & we put her back with the others. She was a happy little soul for just over a month after we nursed her back to health. She sadly died in December. Her little heart was not good & lost it's battle.

Try & give Bumble lots of energy foods & I wish you the very best of luck.

Emma.x

Thanks guys. I'll get hold of some growers pellets. (I have told her not to even think about laying an egg at the moment!) Ive been giving her banana and honey and poultry spice. I'll try some rice too. Ive got brown rice, will that do? SOrry you lost your Rita. Bumble was inside for a few days, but as she was seeming better we put her back with her friends.

Emma: say hello to your bumble from me!

Hello there

So sorry to hear about Bumble. Our ex-batt, Brian, developed kidney problems too. The vet said she wouldn't have long but put her on weekly steroids. This helped to give her a good quality of life for an extra 6 weeks - she was running around, competing with the othes for grapes and dust bathing as normal.

She let us know when the time was right when she took to the nest box and went downhill very fast - a secondary infection probably. The vet put her to sleep.

It wasn't the cheapest course of action but I believe it was the right one and I don't think her quality of life suffered too much by it. I would certainly do it again. She only had 8 months of fresh air in total but you can only do your best.

At the end of the day you can only do your best and you'll what's right for you and your hen. Take care.