The Brown Clan

Is this normal chicken behaviour ????

My other two chooks have started to peck my Pepperpot ( whos has just started laying ) they are not laying yet , just above the tail on her back it now has a bald patch !!!! and was just wondering what if anything I need to do it is not bleeding as yet , but I am worried about my Betty I don't like her being bullied !!! we have had all 3 chicks since 24th june so was just wondering is it just pecking order coming into play ? or somthing else. sorry to ramble but I am concerned they are not witholding food or water from her , We put some cabbage on a shoelace in the run which helped until they demolised it and they are out in the garden when we are home to supervise as a local cat keeps raming the run to get at them so don't feel safe to let them out when we are not there to supervise any advice would be really helpful !!!!

thanks Mel x :(

Well it is 'normal', but if there is a bald patch, then you probably need to take some action. In extreme cases chickens can peck each other so badly that the victim suffers fatal injuries; even if it doesn't get that bad, it can't be very pleasant for Betty.

It may be partly about establishing the pecking order, and it can also be boredom but it sounds as if you've done what you can to alleviate that. Sometimes chickens just do this. I've just discovered one of mine is being pecked which is very annoying as my chickens have been living together in what appeared to be harmony for some months! :evil:

You can do one of two things; spray the victim with anti-peck spray or fit a bumper bit on the bully. Take a look here for information about both these options.

Thank you Olly ,

I did think it was normal , but as you say very annoying poor Betty , although I am pleased to say its not affected her nicking food from under Peebles beak :lol: !!! I have got some anti peck spray now and am going to order the bumper bits aswell !!!!

They seem to have calmed down today with the occasional peck but nothing too horrid !!!!

Peebles pecking days are numbered :twisted:

Thanks for that steph have been out looking for that all day now I can order it for her which I will do when finished on here . I am finding out Peebles does like red especially the roses named after my daughter !!!!!!

she is a beast of a chicken but I still love her and betty still won't budge from the dust bath for her either ( ha Ha ) :lol: .

Bumper bits arrived today, and have fitted them to all 3 chickens as 2 of them are bald and bleeding but all were still pecking each other still waiting for gentian violet spray ordred it on monday am hoping it arrives soon what else can I use to bathe wounds? I feel horrible and am shaking after putting them on all 3 are feeling sorry for themselves and sulking now I hope I have fitted them correctly !!!! and they will forget about them soon

:cry:

Try bathing the wounds with warm water with a bit of tea-tree oil in. It is a natural antiseptic and the other chickens don't usually like the smell, so stay away. Hopefully that will help until the purple spray arrives. Good luck with the bumper bits. I hope this stops all the pecking and your girls settle down to blissful harmony soon. :)

Or you could try some watered down savlon, i used that with gentian violet on Babs' botty when Gladys wouldn't leave it alone. Bumper bit didn't work on Glad as she had been de-beaked so she couldn't eat. I seperated the offender for a week to break her habit and combined with Babs' purple knickers once she had healed, so far things are ok.

I've also tried hanging up veggies and a pecka block incase boredom was a factor

Am a bit concered as to how they can eat with these on!!! mine have now taken to emptying the pellets on to the floor and don't seem to be getting any of them into their mouths and they keep clacking the bumper bit and trying to pull it off there is a large gap between the end of their beaks and the outer rim of the bumper bit ,they look fitted right as have checked the pictures and followewd instructions .

I hope it settles down soon