AMO

Poorly Toyah

One of my original ex-bats, Toyah, has always been a bit wheezy when she breathes. She did have two weeks of antibiotics last October which had no effect so the vet and I decided that as she was happily eating,laying and mixing with the other hens we would keep an eye on her and see how she got on.

She has been fine (still wheezy) until the awful wet weather over the last two weeks - her wheeze is worse, she pants after running up the garden and is constantly sneezing. There is no discharge when she sneezes, she is still eating well and her eyes and comb are bright. The other hens are fine with her ( I am sure if they thought she was sick they would isolate her and deny her access to the food)

I took her to the vet last night who has put her on a dose of Amoxycylin (sp?) for a week to see if the sneezing stops and/or the wheezing reduces.

Has anyone else ever had anything similar with an ex-bat?

Yes our ex-batt called Sneezy - guess whats coming next! Has always sneezed and wheezed she also sits on the ground occasionally gasping for breath!

Nothing we've given her makes any difference shes the fastest runner and now our only layer we've had them 16 months.

Yes our ex-batt called Sneezy - guess whats coming next! Has always sneezed and wheezed she also sits on the ground occasionally gasping for breath!

Nothing we've given her makes any difference shes the fastest runner and now our only layer we've had them 16 months.

:D That made me smile - Toyah is also our fastest runner - she has a very short neck so we call her our Scrumhalf as she races away with a grape in her beak!