Seashell Kelly

Crop Bound (Swollen Crop)

Hi all, hopefully someone can offer us 'newbies to chicken keeping' some advice.

Harriet our Maran Cuivree seems to have developed a swollen crop which we have only really noticed tonight. Harriet has been making some strange movements with her neck/head for the last few days, as if she is trying to clear the blockage in her crop, this would ring true with some of the things we have read.

There seem to be many suggestions as to how to help clear the condition, before resorting to the vet, including olive oil, vigorous massage of the crop, natural yoghurt, bread and milk - even feeding them maggots!

Tonight we have given Harriet some olive oil and Geoff has given her a good 1/2 hour massage (more than I get!)- which she seemed to enjoy!

There were some 'gurgling' noises heard which we are guessing is movement of the 'blockage', but come bedtime, it still felt about the size of a tennis ball! (it's quite soft and squishy, but doesn't feel gritty in any way). We will check Harriet again first thing in the morning.

We would very much appreciate any advice and suggestions you guys might have to give us.

Thanks in advance,

Michelle & Geoff

I wouldn't give bread to a hen with a swollen crop tbh.....it can occasionally cause crop problems itself.

If the crop goes down overnight, then there is nothing to worry about.

If it deosn't, I would continue with olive oil and massage. Fisherman's maggots can help the situation, as they bore their way through the blockage and can shift it if enough a re fed to the hen. You want the undyed ones. Give her 20 or so a couple of times a day or more.

Does her breath smell? if so, a secondary fungal infection might have set in, leading to Sour Crop. Yoghurt will help in this case.

Does she have access to long grass? If so. I'd strim it and clear it away, or net it off as a matter of urgency

Good luck.

I've checked Harriet again this morning to see if her crop has gone down at all overnight but unfortunately not, it's still about the size of a tennis ball and feels soft and squishy. I've given her (it) a good massage again and heard some more of the 'gurgling' noises which I guess is all good but I don't think we spotted it early enough to be able to shift it this way - now that it's so big? I plan to stop at the bait shop on the way home from work and buy some fishermans maggots as suggested. Fingers crossed that helps.

I'll leave her, and the other girls in their pen while i'm at work so there's no chance of her eating more grass. Their layers pellets are available but when I let them all out of the eglu this morning the normal routine is to scoff and drink. Harriet didn't eat anything so I'm guessing the swollen crop is uncomfotable for her and putting her off her food?

Question: how long should we continue on the course of maggots, oil and massage before we should seek a vet?

Thanks

Geoff (& Michelle's who's still in bed! I'm just glad we didn't opt for a dog!!)

If it is soft and squishy rather than hard, it suggests that it might be Sour Crop rather than impacted, although the two do go hand in hand.

Have you smelt her breath?

Also, some hens have poorer muscles in that dept and manage to overstretch things through overeating, and the muscles don't regain their tautness.

I'd give her lots of probiotic yoghurt, in addition to the maggots and massage, and see how she goes over the weekend.

Limit her pellets and make sure that her drinking water and it's containers are extra sparkling clean.

If there is no improvement after the weekend, I'd seek a vet's opinion.

we had exactly the same situation with Iggy recently - i took her to the vet immediately and he said there was nothing wrong with her and that some chickens have big crops. He breath certainly didn't smell and her crop was squishy but huge! I was only able to massage her for a few minutes at a time but gave her maggots twice a day in olive oil and probiotic yoghurt ( much to my husband's amazement - expensive organic stuff which he though OTT!) for a week. She was also doing the head thing which worried me. she always seemed perky though and I think it's just the way she is - her crop is still big and fairly soft but the head movements have stopped and she is otherwise fine and laying. I think if one thing really helps it is the maggots. Gross but effective. And they love them!

Definitely get maggots (from a fishing shop or from Wormsdirect). If it is a straightforward blockage, they will sort it out.

I gave my hens a bowl of maggots every afternoon. Don't expect immediate results, but after 3-4 days the crop should be better. If things don't return to normal, you should perhaps seek advice as there may be something else going on.

They're not as bad as you think they'll be! And if they work, they're worth it anyway. Just be quick getting them into a bowl and then to the hens! :shock::shock:

They're not as bad as you think they'll be! And if they work, they're worth it anyway. Just be quick getting them into a bowl and then to the hens! :shock::shock:

That's right! They form an escape committee if you aren't quick.

I put some on the table once in a dish to take out to the hens, went to answer the phone, and when I came back, they were crawling all over the table top, and some had made it to the floor.

Daphne's crop is still big after her catching and eating a frog the other day. She's still scratching about, eating and laying, but I thought I would try the maggots and massage as the crop is very big and it must be uncomfortable as she keeps moving her neck.

Anyway - I finally tracked down a maggot shop and bought some home - my immediate raction was ugh! :vom: and it was really funny to see the hen's reaction when they saw the container moving! They all jumped back squarking (don't know how to spell it!) until brave Winnie made the first move and decided they were good eating. They soon got the hang of it...

Then when Daphne decided to have a little snooze, I picked her up and sat with her on my lap massagin her crop - she kept falling asleep so it can't have been too stressful!! We shall see if it works. (I called in at my vets yesterday and they suggested liquid paraffin and massage - but I haven't tried that yet)