Guest the burrow

baby rabbit hell!

bought my two new girl rabbits ( echo and Indie) a week and a half ago ( said to be 8 weeks at the time) From the same litter and deliberately chosen as they paired up together in the litter. My rablu arrived today ( 1 and a half weeks later) and when I moved them in within an hour they were fighting big time! I intend to get them neutered but as yet they're too young. I have a separate house hutch so I can keep them separate for the time being and I think they started spatting this morning before the rablu arrived so it's all just bad timimg! I was really disappointed as I was looking forward to them both enjoying their new home. I previously had a much loved 10 year old rabbit indoors but this time with young children about wanted to keep a rabbit outside and because of that wanted two so that they would keep each other company. Now I have one outside and one in!!! I hope the neutering does the trick ...but any other advice greatfully received!!! :roll:

Are you sure they are girls :?

Baby rabbits are very hard to sex at that age and it is easy to make a mistake :roll:

At that age females shouldn't be fighting unless they are older than you thought :? Females sometimes fight as a dominance thing but usually not until they are much older but boys ion the other hand :shock:

Turn them over and gently press down on the skin either side of their 'bits' and a female will kind of fold out into a leaf shaped protrusion and a male if young will have more of a tube shape protrusion which when older is more obvious and when they get older they will have obvious testes as well :oops:

thanks louise for the advice, I've had a look at heir bits!!! and looked on the net at pictures , I think they're girls but have booked a trip to the vets to help! If they are two boys do you or anyone else have experience of two bucks that will happily live together after neutering?

I think they would be okay but I am no expert honestly I have just screwed up sexing baby rabbits before :oops::lol:

Once the pockets are picked most male species can live together so I would think it would be okay but ask the vet their opinion :?

Pairs of two girls or a girl and a boy (neutered obviously) get on well, two boys get on less well as they can still fight even after having the op. try partitioning the run off so that they can see each other and have 'safe' contact.

I have two sisters from the same litter, and apart from a bit of sapphic friskiness they are fine and get along very well.

took bunnies to vet detintely girls and as its spring and love is in the air the vet reckoned echo at only 10 weeks was on heat and a bit moody!!! poor indie! so have them in parallel runs for now and trying them together when I have time to watch They groomed each other today and played well until dusk when the pmt monster reared hr head again so I split them.. ah well just 6 months to go until they get neutered!!!! thanks for all your replies