Ms Tilytinkle

Water dropping ..

Good Morning

I have noticed Boudecca has , what can only be described as a ' water dropping' as if she was urinating. I have noticed this twice, two consecutive mornings, please does any one know what this indicates, what the problem could be - if there is a problem?

Also smell . .is there a distinctive smell when a chicken is broody as although the cube was thoroughly washed out at the weekend, as it is every weekend; there is a distinctive smell in the nesting box. Or maybe in the warmer weather it needs hosing out twice a week?

Thank you

Ms Tillyhopesthesunisshininginyourcorneroftheworld

Hi

Unfortunately, I dont have an answer for you but I have read about these symptons on this forum so it might be better to do a search.

Somebody else was talking about a distinctive smell and another of water seeping.

Hopefully somebody will be able to put a thread on here for you.

Best Wishes

The seeping can be a sign that the hen might be egg bound, as only the urates part of the droppings can come away, as the egg is temporarily obstructing the bowel.

Why not have a good feel and see if you can feel a large egg around the lower abdomen.

If you can, take the usual action re greasing the vent with vaseline, steaming etc

On the other hand it could be the egg white part of a soft egg coming away.

Hello there Egluntine & Chucknette

Thank you for your replies. I did try a search but nothing came up except watery poos, this really wasnt a poo . .an explosion of fluid with a few bits in! Bless her. she seems perfectly fine, i think she's still laying as normal as her egg is usually a little bit pinky within the brown .

Thank you I will finish my lunch, coffee & enjoy the rest of the afternoon in the glorious sunshine fixing a new, bigger wooden run to the donated wooden pyramid coop.

Even though all 8 chooks retreat to bed in the cube . . i do prefer the new girles . . hmm The Kray Twins .. . confined into their own run whilst devouring their layers pellets before ranging, as they are bullies to little Agnes!! Oddly enough Boudecca chases them yet she is chased by the Pepperpots who are apprehensive of the new girlies.

I will thoroughly check Boudecca for any swelling, egg shapes around the lower abdomen etc . i will check her vent .. yuk... that 'fly strike' post & subsequent thoughts fill me with absolute horror, poor little souls.

Thank you again, much appreciated.

Ms Tillyhopesyourdayispeacefulandhappy

Hello there..just to say my amber girl usually does something similar as the first poo after she has laid her'small but perfectly formed' brown egg.The rest seem to be ok though..so I havent worried too much as shes still quite young..about 24 weeks..and I thought things might still be in the practising mode,so to speak..Hope things Are ok..??

Hello tiggerlady & Steph101

Thankyou, much appreciated. She didn't , from what i saw, do a watery one today :)

Yes it did seem to be after she's laid. Also i have tried to think if they've had any salty treats. I don't think so, although wouldnt they all react in the same way?

But i will be careful with salt, although i do rinse their cooked left over broccolli or green beans in boiling water just incase there is a trace of salt

remaining.

Bless, theyre such dear little things aren't they, its so awful when any of them seem poorly.

Ms Tillys8chooksalaying8wonderfuleggs,2beneaththehedges&6inthecube