Dharma chick

Scaley leg mite

2 of the ex-bats have scaley leg mite and we have treated them with a wash and brush up and then vaseline with eucalyptus put on afterward (there legs look and stay very clean?) Just wondering how we will know if it has worked?

Should this treatment be repeated? They seemed to like the foot massage!

Asked vet - who recommended liquid parafin - but this was too runny and we could not get on with it being more covered than the chickens!

Do the scales eventually fall off?

Thanks for any help. :oops:

We use cooking oil at the farm and I helped a neighbour do it once, and I think you should do it again after 2 weeks.

You will see the scales looking different, and not sclaey, but I don't know if they fall off or not :?

Haven't had to deal with it yet myself but from what I gather it isn't a quick treatment, you have to keep going with it for a good while - not sure how long though. I seem to recall that the parafin is not a nice option for the hen anyway. Some people seem to be mentioning Sudocreme as a treatment, I think in PP magazine.

Don't try to pull the scales off, they will eventually come off themselves and sort themselves out but it takes a while.

Thanks everyone. I did see the articile on sudocrem. I did think about using it however i did hesitate when i saw that it was not lisenced for chicken use. The person that wrote the articile had good results.. Do you think that it is safe enough to use on the girls?

Anything that will seal the scale & suffocate the mite is good it must be applied reglurly. scales renew every 12 months so yes in theory they will drop off, it takes a long time to cure scaly leg unfortunately & the treatment has to be consistant it takes a while to see little if any improvement, so dont think its not working, the scales will never quite be as 'normal' though, but will improve & be less painful for the bird as legs can become quite sore.

Bezyol benzoate or indeed liquid parrifin or plain old vaseline does the job.

You are not actually treating the legs as such to make it better, but killing the mite to prevent more damage.

Be vigilant towards any other birds you may have as it can spread.

Sudocreme is a bit thick & IMO does not really do the job, also things will stick to it & it to feathers & it can end up quite a mess :shock: .

Karen

Forgot to mention....Ivermectin **Not licensed for poultry in UK, is effective in treating Scaly Leg Mite.

Xeno 200 is available online.

Remember that there is an egg withdrawal during and for one week after the treatment.

Saves faffing about with lotions and potions though. :D