FlyingRamses

Hen ate elastic band!

Some advice please. One of the hens dug up what I am pretty sure was an old broken elastic band, about 3/4 inches long and clearly thinking it was a worm, legged it around the garden with me and the other hens chasing her!!

She suddenly stopped and swallowed it down whole!!

Is this likely to be a problem? This happened at around 1pm today, she seems fine, is eating well and droppings look healthy, no elastic bands to be seen!!

Should we just observe her over the next day or so and ensure she keeps eating, pooing and laying OK?

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks both, very reassuring, I assumed she would be ok as they seem very hardy.

Wish someone had filmed my run around the garden with a hen on either side and one behind as we chased Daisy who clearly though she had found an incredibly big juicy worm!! She lost me down between the fence and Eglu bars although the others followed loosing the odd feather on the way. Honestly, you would think we never fed them!!

Thanks again. :D

Hi - what happened to your hen - did she just poo it out? This has suddenly become very pertinent for me as Glory has just scoffed a morsel of burst balloon. She seems absolutely fine and has carried on behaving as normal, but I shan't be happy until I've seen it come back out (and it's brght pink so I shan't have any problems identifying it). Any reassurance you can give gratefully received!

I would love to know too as one of my girls ate a hairband that she found in the garden yesterday. It was gone in seconds !!! :shock:

She seems just fine in herself but i'm worried it will get stuck somewhere inside her!

My youngest daughter is convinced it will be in one her eggs!!! :roll:

Has anyone else had this happen?

(green eglu)

PP Rocky

(Bluebelle) Mrs Doyle

(white chicken) Helen

Rescue Cats x8

3 Gerbils

1 Mouse

One of my first Omlet girls used to eat rubber bands regularly (not that I put them out for her! ). She was fine. :D

She stopped eating them once I stopped allowing them to come into the house! :shock::lol:

Something to make you go :vom:

Years ago my brother spotted a piece of string on the cat's btm and he pulled it. Out came this long length of string with a few little attachments. We all went ewwwww and made him wash his hands after disposing of the er, matter. So don't worry, it will go through the system. The cat also liked scoffing any elastic band she could find and had the same effect.