Valkyrie

How do I dowse them with louse powder?

Bearing in mind my lot are adamant that picking up is a no no, how do I go about checking for nasties. The other night when we did our usual raid on the cube, I whichever one I have I feel their legs and feet. Patch had a raised/lumpy scale. I assume it is the beginnings of a mite attack, so the following night administered Vaseline - pitch black and a new experience for me. Vaseline everywhere and most of it over me while struggling with a wriggling hen. It is hard to see in the daytime because the feathers cover most of their legs. Have I done the right thing there? If so, is it a daily treatment, or every other day? Obviously I would have to get some heavy duty treatment if it doesn't improve or you advise me to PDQ.

But I have tried to look at their backs for lice when they are otherwise occupied at my feet - Annie seems clear, but so much fluff on the others and looking at bums is impossible. I think Patch again may have some but I haven't seen any running over tops of the feathers so she isn't infested if she does. They have a big dust bath with the works added, and while Sioux and Annie cover themselves (Sioux shook herself off twice making a big enough cloud resembling Beijing), I haven't seen Patch do the same - she goes in the bath but is joined by Sioux so there isn't enough room for her to get a good dowsing. Do I pick her up and administer treatment, or is that likely to upset her even more and thereby lose any trust I have built up? Help!

My chickens have never had scaly leg mite but from what I've read you need to apply the vaseline on a daily basis.

I have also read that surgical spirit applied daily for a week works well together with the vaseline.

Benzyl Benzoate is a antiparasitic insecticide which kills lice and mites. You can buy it from the chemist. Paint it on the legs and again a week later.

You will also need to spray your coup to kill off any mites living there.

I would make sure Patch gets her dose of lice powder by picking her up and doing it yourself. You can build up her trust at a later date :D

Hope this helps.

Hi Gamebird

So far (again as they were occupied) I brushed the feathers on her back again. The feathers seem to be clear and the skin is nice and whitey/pink. I shall have to wait till DD comes home so that 4 arms are better than 2 and then I will be able to have a better look.

Annies legs are not as bloomered and she is fine. Sioux will have to be grabbed for further perusal.

I clean out the cube every week (power hose) and sprinkle powder everywhere once it is dry.

Surgical Spirit I bought recently (mainly as a removal for sticky stuff), so I will have a go with that.

Yes, health comes before ruffled feathers. I will have to put up with getting the cold shoulder!

I can't see any trace of nasties under the feathers and the shafts are clear. I have a feeling that what I saw may have been a bit of dried mealworm dust that I had dropped on them earlier because this afternoon I had given them some and some bits had stuck to my hand and were deposited on the girls as I stroked them. So that is a relief and she was in the dustbath this morning on her own - before the rain. As for the foot, it didn't look anywhere near like the photo's but it is slightly raised - probably feels lumpier in the dark. So I am doing the treatment anyway to be on the safe side. I have Stockholm Tar as a standby for something, and I can't remember what it was for - does this go on feet? I have put the wooden ramp up to the cube as I noticed all the girls slipping and falling through the plastic ladder, so now they can't damage their legs that way.

Xeno 200 **not licensed for poultry in uk will treat Scaley Leg mite and all other nasties.

Much easier to apply at dead of night than vaseline and powder.

There is an egg withdrawal period....although my vet says she doesn't bother. She just keeps the eggs for her own use. I do the same.

Thanks Egluntine

Ours aren't laying yet so that isn't a problem, although I have a huge scratch today that is a good 9 inches long and still oozing blood as I write. I am totally fed up getting injured while trying to help my ungrateful feathered beasties and posted a help on the Chicken section. However they still feed like crazy afterwards, even if a little wary. Closer inspection of Sioux has found scaley leg on her too, although not as bad (although Apache isn't too bad, but has a couple of slightly bigger lumps, so I gather it is definitely this poxy mite). Cheyenne is very hard to grab after seeing the other two, but I will get her sooner or later today as I feel it is possible that if the other two have, then she will too - last night her legs felt very smooth and the colouring is good.

Much closer inspection (after a mammoth WWF session and me finally getting a half Nelson on them) has revealed clear armpits and clear vents, so no problems there. It has been made slightly easier to check because they have been moulting and there are a lot of lovely new spikey shafts and not as many fluffy bits in the way.