Guest Vida

eggs with no shell

Hi everey body ,

Just want to see if any body knows why my chicken lays ( drops) eggs with no shell . she used to lay beautiful eggs until Two weeks ago.

Help if you have a suggestion

Vida

Thank you ,

I will try it to see what happens . although i put some chicken spice ( the supplement ) in her food but I am not sure if she eats it

Vida

I use Shellstim occasionally, after getting some softies, and shell-less eggs. It cleared the problem up within a couple of days, and I put it in their water now if the shells start to thin.

It seemed quite expensive when I initially bought it, and Chookiehubbie did point out that we would have been cheaper wringing Belles neck, and replacing her, but it's going to last forever, despite already having given half the bottle to someone else, so I think it was well worth the money!

It worked for my chooks I still add a bit to the water when the shells go thin again, but haven't had any real soft shelled eggs for a while now, I think it works like a general tonic just giving some added calcuim.....................Good luck.

I have the shellstim and have been feeding the hens with their normal food and have put chicken spice in. I have been giving them cheese in the hope that this will provide them with caclium. But now Florence is laying eggs with no shell whatsoever. :cry::cry:

Help. Is she ill? Or shall I just sit tight and wait for the shellstim to work?

Any suggestions?

Worried chuck owner

I would sit tight Sue it will take about a week for the Shellstim to take effect, and also the hot weather can make them lay soft eggs........My GNR was the same for quite a few months in her first year of laying it is only this year her 2nd that the soft eggs have stopped. Just keep an eye on her and make sure she is acting normally and eating and drinking plenty and i am afraid there is not much more you can do.

Another thought is worming her not sure if you have already done this but when i was concerned about Ginger and phoned Omlet they said sometimes worms can make them lay soft eggs..............Good luck I hope she lays a good egg soon.

Hi

Our gingernut has been laying soft shelled eggs for what seems like ages. I have tried all the usual things but there has been no improvement. (In fact I cannot remember when we last had a proper egg from her). She has now started moulting; might this be connected? I have also read on another forum about someone giving their chickens cod liver oil to help with this problem. Has anyone tried this? Did it work? There is also mention of a product called Calcivit (sp?). Again, has anyone tried this? We have had her for just over a year. Sometimes she looks a bit unwell before laying one but on other occasions they just plop out. :o Otherwise she seems very happy and healthy; eating, drinking and generally causing havoc

Any advice most welcome.

kind regards to all

Liz

Hi Liz. Egg production does usually drop off prior to the moult, because feathers are mostly protein and it requires a lot of effort from our lovely girls to replace them. :lol: I would think that perhaps the soft shelled eggs are linked to this. Do you give them any ground oyster shell or their own baked eggshells to provide additional calcium? This helps them form the new shells.

If she's moulting, now is a good time to give her a bit of a boost. I mix a 5ml spoonful of cod liver oil into a little porridge (or layers' mash or pellets with water) several times a week.

I've never heard of the other product, but would also recommend that you give your chook a boost of a multivitamin/multimineral at this time, such as poultry spice (which is available from Omlet shop). This should be all the additional help your girl needs to come through the moult as simply as possible! It can take 6 weeks, and you're unlikely to get eggs during that time.

Good luck

Sue Budgie