clootie

RSPCA - visit to animal shelter for bunnies

Welcome Nugget :lol: I'm sure he will be very happy in his new home. I can understand your disappointment about leaving the other two bunnies behind but I really don't the RSPCA are being reasonable or using any common sense whatsoever.

I bet your Daughter is over the moon :lol: :lol: she's been so patient too.

How's the bun settling into his new home? Hopefully he's enjoying it :lol:

Hi Jue, the bun is adorable !! He's hopping around all over the place. My daughter is in there with him at the moment hanging carrots and apples in a ball on a chain for him. He's got a tunnel, a ball with a bell on it and more hugs than he probably wants at the moment but apart from all of that - he seems to be settling in. I tried to find a clear shower curtain yesterday and couldn't but managed to pick up some thick plastic just in case it rained last night - thank goodness I did. It poured all morning but Nugget was dry and cosy peering out at the world. He doesn't appear to be eating very much but I guess he's a little stressed and just needs to settle down in his new home as I'm sure it's all a little strange to him right now.

We've also attached those temporary sections of run from Pets@home to enlarge the run area for him but will take them down again when my daughter decides to give him a break!! If I can figure out how to load a photo, you'll get to see what all the fuss is about!!

Yes please - I'd love to see some photos of him :lol: I think alot of people on here have bought plastic shower curtains from Ikea. They seem to be very cheap so it doesn't matter so much if they don't last forever. I bought some tarpaulin for the eglu run - I'll see if I can find the name of the company for you. They cut it to whatever size you need and then you can just attach the bungee cords off the summer shade that omlet provide.

He will probably eat more when you aren't watching :lol: when we had a bunny years ago I always worried that he wasn't eating enough but he was fine and the bowl did get emptied. He could be used to different food from what you've bought so might take him a few days to get used to it.

I have a bright pink eglu for my rabbits too and I have to say they are far more contented having the extra room to run in than their old hutch that the RSPCA would have approved of due to it's dimensions. What they don't seem to understand is that rabbits like fresh air and running rather than sitting in wooden rooms all day. It's the run that did it for me and I have not regretted it so far. I am 19 and I can still fit easily inside the run to play with my bunnies or to catch them when I check their nails/teeth etc. I know the RSPCA are a good cause but I don't agree with a lot of what they say, don't animals need human contact to enjoy human contact? They wouldn't recommend leaving a dog outside all day and only giving it attention when it wants it so why is a rabbit different? Also, a few months ago I tried donating an almost new hutch to the RSPCA that cost me almost a hundred pounds and was 2 storeys tall and they wouldn't accept it. I don't know if the RSPCA still destroy animals after a certain amount of time but surely any help to stop them from doing so and keeping their animals in the best possible environment should be paramount? This issue really irritates me because it seems as though they are saying that they would rather allow their rabbits to stay with them and possibly be put to sleep rather than go to live in a home that is already evidently loving because they have just spent £350 on a home for them! I have heard that they have totally different views on eglus for chickens however.

Hiya

We had a terrible time with the RSPCA last winter! We wanted to give a dog a home at the end of November after months of 'should we' 'shouldn't we'. We saw a lovely Weimaraner (sorry for spelling!) she was 6 and her owner had died. She had been in the shelter for around 6months so we decided to put a request in for her. We were told about the home visit and prepared everything from new collar and lead to high fencing at the top of the garden so she wouldnt be able to get out. All this was done within 48hrs as we were expecting home visit asap as it was approaching xmas now. No visit before xmas. My husband phoned up every other day to see if anyone could come out. Apparently all were too busy. Yet every time we went to visit our dog no other dogs had been rehomed! We were then told after xmas that it was because we live far away (8.5 miles from centre) although we were well in their catchment which extends a full 20 mile radius!? Into january and we were not happy as we had had empty dog bed for over a month and no sign of them coming out and never phoning us always us phoning them. They still said they had noone to cover our area??? We then decided that it would be better for the dog to be rehomed with someone closer as they said they could do a home visit to them sooner. (We still think this is nonsense!)

At the end of January we went to a small run animal shelter who actually work from an old farm buildings. The dogs are usually let out on grass(!) and there is not the incessant barking like at the RSPCA! We found a puppy called Monty who was the last in the litter and we took him home that day! At the centre they checked on google earth to see size of garden and local area! And obv checked our driving liccences to know who we were etc. After we told them of the tale of the RSPCA they said it was not uncommon and I think they knew we were genuine people and caring. Apparently they do the home visits occasionally if they think the people are not genuine or live in a very built up area.

Sorry for my long story!

Just wanted you to know you aren't on your own!

I would now always go to that local charity rather than RSPCA as I think the animals (goats, sheep, donkeys, cats, ducks, dogs, small furries! are all a lot happier there and begin their new life quickly rather than being cooped all and unhappy waiting for paperwork!)

http://www.scarc.co.uk - for those that are interested!

Thanks Mrs A. When I emailed the "rabbit lady" to say that it wasn't going to work out she was, in fairness, very understanding and said that I could contact her anytime for advice for my new bun. She did ask me to contact the RSPCA Centre to advise them to take the reserve off the two bunnies I was originally rehoming. Talk about guilt trip - I felt terrible having to email them but I did forward all email communications to let them see what the problems were. Perhaps I took the cowards way out and should have telephoned them in person but I just felt I would be getting into an awkward situation where I was having to justify my decision.

Needless to say, they never even acknowledged my email. Not to worry, it's a lesson learned. We have a very happy chubby little bunny outside and he seems perfectly happy. Thanks for your post, it made very interesting reading indeed.

You're welcome. As I've had more dealings with the RSPCA I have been a bit sceptical over some of their working policies. One year we wanted to take some food down and they told us they wanted money instead??? Also while we were visiting 'our' dog we always brought hyde sticks and treats but she was never allowed them at that time????? She wasn't on a special diet and we always went at different times of the day but never allowed to give her the treats?

Glad you are happy with your bunny now. And so is your daughter! What's his/her new name?

Heather

The new addition is Nugget. He is spoilt rotten having veggies galore - seems to have a penchant for green peppers!! He is a sweetie and comes indoors regularly for hop about. We have him on grass and apart from moving the run/eglu on a weekly basis, it's easier than I imagined it would be. He's very clean and although he avoids the litter tray, he does go in the same spot near the door of the run - his house is spotless, no mess at all. I don't know what I expected but I thought I'd be cleaning him out more than once a week!! My chooks are still unsure giving him the evil eye when they walk past him. Quite funny to watch but as soon as I show them a sultana scone - he's history !!

I'm afraid that I too had a bad experience with the RSPCA. I tried to rehome a dog in March 2007. Lots of the dogs in the kennels had notices on their cages that said they did not get on with cats, and I have two moggies. I wanted a border collie cross and found one that had been in Liverpool kennels for about six months and had eventually been moved to kennels near me as sometimes there are more homes in the south apparently. The poor thing was terribly stressed and thin as it hated being so confined. As no-one knew its history I asked whether it was good with cats and they just shrugged. I went back about four times and discussed my misgivings, but finally I decided to take a chance and the dog was so loving and good - but it hated cats. After a really stressful week where every chance he got he cornered the cats, although one took to living behind my bed, terrified, and I lived in fear of either dog or a cat being blinded, or injured, I had to take him back. I could hardly talk for sobbing, and had to fill in a form which ended up totally blurred as I cried all over it. The staff then said that when they didn't know a dog's history they usually walked them down to the cattery (in the same kennels) to see their reaction. I paid a lot of money and didn't ask for it back as I felt so bitter and meant to write to them when I'd calmed down, but found the whole business so distressing I never did. I'd felt that I'd let poor Harry down and even now think about him a lot and hope he finally went to a good home. They were going to re-write his card on his cage using my experience!!!! It's helped hearing others experiences on this thread. Sorry this is so long, I've only written to reassure you, but have found that I'm now sitting here with tears streaming down my face, as this has been something that has affected me very badly.

I'm pleased that things have worked out fine for you in the end though. This is the first time that I've looked at the bunny section. I had a rabbit years ago in a hutch. I've four chickens in an Eglu, and was only thinking today how wonderful a Rablu would be for a bunny - so secure, and such a great design.

Kind regards to you and yours.

Thats such a shame about your experience E4eggs and it has obviously affected you a lot. Without knowing the dog just the collie aspect I would say he/she would chase anything and I would have thought that the RSPCA would not recommend him/her to you. The reason I say this is that our dog is a collie/cross and is a bit mental and will chase anything. Collies are very highly strung and you moggies obv weren't happy with this!

Bit shocked that that is how they 'test' their dogs at the RSPCA - by walking past the cattery! Do they do the same wtih children? Just walk past a playground? I honestly thought they did more than that as when we went there was a whole list of things the dog was okay with!?

Glad Nuggets has settled in well! Sounds like a real character! Sorry this thread has been taken over by RSPCA stories! Hope Im not responsible!

we re homed a pair of bunnies from pets at home. we have had them since easter & are wonderful and very friendly. try visiting your nearest pets at home. they ask you to make a donation to the charity, whatever you can afford. we gave them £10 for each rabbit. Although they ask you questions about the hutch, they seem to just want to find a loving home. the staff were great.

i have an eglu for my chickens which is fab, but i am thinking of getting one for the bunnies too. let me know if you think a rabbit eglu is worth it!

Well with regard to the rablu, after all the hassle we had about suitability and I even considered at one point sending mine back, I have to say that it is a fantastic home for our bun and I'm so glad I didn't listen to the negative comments made on other forums and from the RSPCA. Our little guy has settled in really well and we also bought some panels from Pets@home that we set up to let him have even more of a run about on a regular basis. The rablu is so easy to clean too. We have ours on grass and we move it on a weekly basis to a fresh spot so I don't actually clean the run out as we don't have shavings etc to replace. It is a bit heavy to move around but as a fellow member suggested, maybe I should take the back off before I try to move it - makes life so much easier!! :roll:

:D:D:D

We Egluowneres get so much flak from people on other forums who spout about unsuitability when they have no idea what they are talking about - never seen an Eglu in the flesh and certainly never used one :twisted:

We also came unstuck with the RSPCA over both cats (neutering feral cats) and dogs (rehoming) - I won't have anything to do with them now :evil: