Guest keeno3000

Pond

Because you can make your own by following these simple instructions:

a) Buy a washing up bowl

b) Place it in the run and draw round it on the grass with the edge of a trowel.

c) Dig out the hole to the depth of the washing up bowl.

d) Place the washing up bowl in the hole

e) Add water to the bowl

f) Add Ducks

Because you can make your own by following these simple instructions:

a) Buy a washing up bowl

b) Place it in the run and draw round it on the grass with the edge of a trowel.

e) Add water to the bowl

f) Add Ducks

:lol::lol:

hmmmmmmm - but it's easier to use a 'not too deep' plastic crate on the ground which can be emptied and refilled at least twice a day.

Hmm. grd good ideas there -

a) Buy a washing up bowl

e) Add water to the bowl

f) Add Ducks

But we're planning to put our eglu and that on concrete, so it would be hard for us to do that of course.

We will also have a kiddie pool next to the joined run and eglu, when we're at home for them to use but, it would be good for them to have something to swim in also in the run.

Any ideas Anyone?

Help would be truly appreciated!!!! :)

I have some mandarins and I use paddling pools....the blow up ones don't last too long as they peck holes in them or puncture them with their claws! (weird but I think mandarins have claws for climbing trees!!)... the one I now use is the pool cum sandpit that looks like a blue apple made of rigid plastic (used to be like a shell)..but they are deep enough for the ducks to dive under and easy to tip out and clean regularly....and cheap..about £12 from Argos. I use both the base and lid as the 2 drakes like to have one each!!... I don't know if they fit in an Eglu run tho...mine are piniioned so roam free in the garden

we had exactly that before OH built the rill - a bright blue boat shaped paddling pool. they LOVED it!!

one of those storage tubs that goes under a bed might work. The water doesn't even need to be all that deep really. Washing up bowl would definitely work.

just make sure there's a step for them to get in so they don't hurt themselves trying!

happy ducks

we had one of those sand pit ones - it worked well for a while but we did find it cracked when trying to empty it. Now, we have one of those small, plastic pond moulds. Got it from a garden centre for £20. We dug out a hole, lined it with pebbles (to help drainage), put chicken wire with tent pegs over the pebbles to stop them losing shape and then sit the pond mould in. It's now a real doddle to fill, empty, rinse clean and refill.

MH x

We have the ducks in their own house, it's not an eglu but they do have a house. It used to be my potting table but then handy OH went to work on it and now it's a duck house!!

I'll try and ge out to take a pic... but not today, even the duck it hiding today - the weather is VILE!!

the hens go into their eglu at night and the duck goes into her duck house, they all put themselves to bed each night. They're very good, all we have to do is shut doors.

I had heard that ducks won't put themselves to bed but ours always have. Something I noticed the other day was that the duckhouse is WAY cleaner since the drake...erm... went (poor boy - fox I think) the duck has built a nest at one end and poops at the other! Clever ducky!!!

anyway, the point.... you can get a shallow temp pond from the Domestic Fowl Trust. I can't see it on the website but I saw it at a show. Have to say, I like the trug idea!!