Scramble

Prolapse and Worms?

Hi,

I know I'm going to sound really stupid compared to all you Chicken Experts but I was wondering if someone could answer my questions:

How do chickens get Worms?

Should I use Flubenvet every now and then anyway to be safe?

Is a prolapse a soft egg, if so, how can I prevent it?

What do I do when chickens have a prolapse?

Much appreciated, Thanks :?

How do chickens get Worms?

Sorry, I'm no chicken expert either but I believe they get the worms by eating worm eggs distributed by the wild bird population.

Should I use Flubenvet every now and then anyway to be safe?

I use flubenvet every 3/4 months.

Is a prolapse a soft egg, if so, how can I prevent it?

No, a prolapse is not a soft egg. A prolapse is when part of the inside of the vent ends up on the outside. Looks like a bright red lumpy mass- for want of a better description.

What do I do when chickens have a prolapse?

If a chicken does have a prolapse then *this* might help you.

Hope this helps. If not someone might come along who knows more.

The eggs of parasitic worms are picked up by chickens when they eat slugs, snails and worms. They hatch into worms inside the chicken and the worm eggs are passed out in the chickens droppings, to be picked up by the slugs, snails and worms again. They can also pick them up from their own droppings if there run area gets heavily soiled. Most chickens will have some worms inside all the time.

Some feel that you can prevent the worms taking hold in the chicken by making the gut hostile to worms - apple cider vinegar in their drinking water is supposed to be good. To get rid of a heavier worm burden you do need flubenvet at least every 6 months.

Hope this helps :D