Guest revnev

Moths..

I have a house full of moths - little brown "Ooops, word censored!"s - we've had them for months.

has anyone any suggestions for something I can burn or squirt around that will either kill them or send them packing??

(I don't want to fill the house with fly-spray!)

Phil

Well, cedarwood is a repellent, so you could have some blocks around the house. But, I'd be interested in other answers, as the moths eat something every year, usually a new jumper.

Phil, I thought you were the bug protector? I love to see moths, there are so many varieties, but I don't want clothes eaten, nor smelling of moth balls. I put soap in the drawers, seems to work.

But, they always target a loose jumper.

I don't mind the odd moth - flown in from the garden - but these ones have been born and bred in the house (except I don't know where) and they end up everywhere... (there were little moth caterpillars all over the sitting room ceiling a while ago - eugh!)

they have laid little moth eggs in the larder (in packets of rice and such-like) that have hatched into little moth-caterpillars) - and they flap about your face annoyingly when you watch TV or go to bed!

I want to KILL THEM ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

cedarwood - where do I get that from then?

thanks,

Phil

PS

cue joke: what comes out of the wardrobe at 150 miles an hour?

Sterling Moth! :lol:

:lol:

Couldn't you set your sp*****s to work?

Meanwhile, I'm hoping an expert will have some ideas in the morning.

Before you get violent!

All things bright & beautiful, all.......

...well, they are taking over. The larder might be harder. Yuk.

Just found;

http://www.gdparker.co.uk

look under household, moth repellent. Oooh, just seen a lovely whistling kettle there too. :roll:

They are brown house moths (Hofmannophila pseudospretella) Phil :(

Cosmopolitan and widespread throughout the UK, on materials of animal and vegetable origin. May be found among foodstuffs, but primarily a pest of textiles.

See Here

Get Rid !!! But I fear you will need to be aggressive with them

Edited by Guest

They are brown house moths (Hofmannophila pseudospretella) Phil :(

Cosmopolitan and widespread throughout the UK, on materials of animal and vegetable origin. May be found among foodstuffs, but primarily a pest of textiles.

See Here

Get Rid !!! But I fear you will need to be aggressive with them

thanks L-J - you are a positive enyclopaedia of wisdom!

Looking at the photos I reckon they are Indian Meal Moths - I thin k they arrived in a bag of peanuts.. and I now have several generations.

most of the solutions involve cleaning the house - bad news! - but I think I'll try the citronella as well - that's a good idea!

Phil

I have ordered some pheremone-baited food-moth traps and some spray (for when I clean out the larder!) based on neem and tea-tree oil (which , allegedly, they don't like!)

I shall report back progress!

Phil

Looking at the photos I reckon they are Indian Meal Moths - I thin k they arrived in a bag of peanuts.. and I now have several generations.

most of the solutions involve cleaning the house - bad news! - but I think I'll try the citronella as well - that's a good idea!

Phil

This one :?:

Hope the sex pheromone works :!: ( For the moths) :lol:

Hi Phil....i had moths in a synthetic carpet of all places but have renovated and been brave and have a posh new wool one :? ...i have put little muslin bags full of dried citrus peel,rosemary and lavender in the suspect places and fingers crossed iv'e had no problems.