tomalexi

Pecked hens

Advice please!

Two of my Rhode Island Reds have bare patches on their backs that aren't healing because the other hens (and possibly each other, daft so-and-sos) are pecking the patches. I'm not sure how the patches started, the skin looks healthy, feathers are trying to grow and the hens are otherwise healthy.

I've tried using gentian violet spray (hence the purple colour in the photo) but the hens keep pecking. It's not practical to separate them at night but I could do this if there is no other option.

Thanks

chicken_peck.jpg

Hello tomalexi,

My Chickens are also like this at the mo, i have tried bumperbits from wernlas , but they worked out how to continue to peck although others have had lots of luck with them, they are a small plastic device which goes over the beak and stop the hen being able to peck they are 10p each which you pay for with stamps plus an sae ( see faq ) more info on them in there not clever enough to put in link , I have now resorted to ukadex spray which i applied to 2 of my girls with bald bums and backs today and all is well . Merry dale poultry is the cheapest place to buy it at £9.99 ( postage 7.95 but still at least £6.00 cheaper than everywhere else ). beware though it smells awful . hope this is of help to you ,

Mel