owen

do chickens grieve ?

We have eglu cube extended run and three chickens for one year. Only problem has been loss of feathers, pecking at night, not bleeding and controlled a bit with spray but still bare patches. Plenty of eggs.

Sunday all fine lively chickens.

Monday morning Mildred came down steps slowly showed no interest in food. I picked her up and examined her, seemed OK, not eggbound as far as I could see. Put her down on ground. 30 minutes later she had gone.

Other two OK yesterday, busy and feeding as usual. This morning they came down and fed but now mainly standing still, often with eyes closed. Don't seem interested in anything. Obviously this could be really bad news ie illness ... we will see.

But could it be that they miss Mildred who really was the leader and now are confused by Mildred's absence and don't know what to do?

Hi Owen

Not sure if they grieve but when I lost one of mine the rest seemed a bit quiet for the rest of the day as if they knew one was missing.

They did carry on as normal though eating drinking and scratching around just quietly.

As yours are displaying some symptoms they may be unwell.

You could look to the usual worms, softies etc., and treat accordingly.

Hopefully Eglutines around and will be able to advise you.

Hope all turns out well.

Best Wishes

Thank-you Chucknette and Egluntine. I will try the poultry spice to help with the feathers.

Regarding the other problem, it is most odd. Maud and Mirabelle spent the whole morning more or less motionless often with eyes closed, then after a few hours started to move around. By teatime they were running around more or less as usual. They seem to have recovered.

I wonder if when they came down the ladder this morning from the eglu, after they had had a few pecks in the feed container they realised something was wrong.

... morning means ... Owen let's us out ... breakfast ... titbits. But wait, it cannot be breakfast because at breakfast Mildred is always here. Yes, it cannot be breakfast, it is night we are still in the cube ... let us be still and close our eyes ... when we wake we will all three go down as usual for breakfast.

Owen

We lost Betty last summer, and Hetty did seem really sad when we took Betty away (to put er out of her misery, it was a long downhill ride)

For the rest of the day she just moped around, but she soon had two new and young chickens to boss around and seemed to forget about it soon after, I hope... :pray:

Sorry about your loss

Eve

Thank you all for your advice and sympathy.

Update ...

Last night Maud and Mirabelle were a little reluctant to go to bed. But I stayed around and eventually they went up the ladder into the cube.

This morning, rather the same story as yesterday. Maud was a bit more busy, but Mirabelle just standing there with her eyes closed. By the afternoon both were jumping around though and enjoyed a corn on the cob.

I was late closing tonight. They were both huddled up in the corner of the run! This has never happened before, that they don't go up the ladder to bed. I decided against the pantomime of me crawling inside to try to get them in the cube so I shielded the sides and back of the run where they are. It is not too cold. Tomorrow I will try to jolly them up the ladder at dusk.

Owen

Hi Owen

Yes it would be better to get two as it will be less stress on one being introduced.

I introduced six to my two originals, they were a bit out numbered but they coped.

My original pepperpot became top chook and the original gingernut became second in command so it all worked out well.

Maybe your chook that you lost was always the first up the ladder so they are a bit confused at the moment.

They will gather their wits soon and remember to climb the ladder, lets face it one of them will have to show the newbies where the sleeping accommodation is :D

Best wishes