Jen&Rog

Another question on limping!

Hello All

I've been browsing the forum to see if there's any advice for a hen who's limping. It's been slowly getting worse for several months, so it's not a sprain, and I checked underneath, all seems fine, no cuts/sores, no scaley bits. Just looks like she's got stiff on one of her legs and it's starting to slow her down now, can't run or scratch about any longer.

She's a happy hen and I'm sure we'd notice if she was in pain, but anyone have any suggestions on helping her out? She's been on cod liver oil for a week now, but might try glucosamine. I wonder if a drop of metacam might help every now and then (think it's a painkiller/anti-inflamm). If anyone has any words of wisdom I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

I would check with your vet before giving a hen Metacam. It is prescription only and there might be contraindications and/or an egg withdrawal period.

Extra calcium is often helpful in treating a limping hen.

Why not try her with a couple of teaspoons of Limestone Flour added to her pellets.

Lucky had a limp when she came to us. That's why no.3 son chose her, because when we went into the pen to choose one each she was the hen who didn't run away from him! Anyway the breeder (not Merrydale poultry) said she's probably hurt herself jumping off the perch and it would be bettter in a few weeks. It has got better since then - she still had a limp but could get around with no apparent problem. However, this week, (after I posted saying that I didn't need a vet but a recommendation would be helpful) she declined a lot. She's spending her days sitting around and doing very little walking and when she does is very slow. I took her to the vet who said it is the old injury flared up agian and that her "knee" joint feels crunchy :(

Unfortunately the vet didn't/couldn't suggest any treatment and I got the feeling that if my son hadn't been there he would have suggested putting her down :(:(

It's sad to see her at the moment sitting around, struggling to walk, I'm hoping she'll get better over time. She's a lovely, docile hen.

So sorry, can't give you any help at all. One thing I was considering, as well as a general tonic, was Rescue Remedy. It seems to get recommended on here as a general thing for distressed chickens so I thought it might help Lucky (although fortunately she doesn't seem distressed and is eating/drinking OK)