Lesley-Jean

Dummies for babies ?

We used a Dummy  

14 members have voted

1. 1. We used a Dummy

• Usually
    • Never

My 2 never had dummies, I didn't like the idea initially, but what I somehow didn't realise :oops: is that the majority of babies do like something to suck, especially as they go to sleep. I eventually, desperate with a son who wouldn't settle without either screaming himself to sleep or staying, sucking intermittently, on the breast for hours, severely limiting me from doing anything else and making me very sore in the process :( , offerred him a dummy..... but by then it was too late and he simply wouldn't accept it.

Daughter found her fingers within minutes of birth and until aged around 5 or 6 she'd put 2 fingers into her mouth at a very odd angle and suck on them whenever she was tired or upset. Fortunately she broke the habit easily by herself and neither her teeth or speech suffered.

My sister sucked her thumb well into her teens, (although I think some of that habit might have metamorphosed into teenage rebellion as the parents were desperate to get her to stop :roll: ) and ended up with a very strange looking thumb, all withered and skinny, that persisted for a very long time.

So I didn't use dummies, but kind of wish I had for my son. That said I do dislike seeing toddlers (and older children) who run around with them all day. And, as has already been pointed out dummies can be strategically lost..... you simply can't do that with fingers and thumbs.

1st 3 children, fine without dummies, then along comes the twins, sorry but I used them, very difficult with only me at home a 2 year old and new born twins, but it didn't last very long, got fed up putting the dummies back in every time Jesse or Stephanine spat them out. Jesse is now quite happy without anything and Stephanine stucks her finger. They are 1 on 6th July, how time flys.

Lynn (red eglu)

You've had a tough year then, MotherHubbard!

As with anything else, dummies are fine if used sensibly and properly for the job they were intended to do. All things in moderation!