Lesley-Jean

Dummies for babies ?

We used a Dummy  

14 members have voted

1. 1. We used a Dummy

• Usually
    • Never

Aaargh!! :shock::lol:

No, I didn't use one, but it may have resulted in my son sucking his thumb for years. Apparently a dummy is an easier habit to break than thumbsucking. But I still don't like seeing a dummy, especially on toddlers.

YUK!!!!!!

My girls were finger & thumb suckers.In fact Devon popped her thumb in the very moment she was born :D

They both were off this habit by the time they went to School........I think the fear of being seen as a "baby" made them stop,plus a few comments made by our Dentist!

I really don't like dummies,but am open minded enough to see that when it come to motherhood there is no real right or wrong- you just have to do what is right for your child & you.

I can't answer that poll really. I was totally against dummies but found one useful for my eldest who used a dummy to help her sleep until she was 3 months old, then she didn't want it any more. DD2 wouldn't touch one. DD3 and DS didn't use one either.

Those pictures are gross and I would never let my baby look so ugly. Children are not toys and shouldn't be made to look ridiculous like that. Poor things!

Personally I hate dummies and don't liek to see them on children. There is a child at Rosie's school (about 5 yrs old) who arrives with a dummy in his mouth, then passes it over to Mum before going in to class - I am appalled!

Rosie never had a dummy, but I must admit to having been tempted as she was 'The Child Who Never Sleeps' for the first three years :roll::twisted:

Before having children I always said a big no to dummies. However when my eldest was born she was a real screamer and fed for hours, which I felt was a comfort thing. In desperation I gave her a dummy and never looked back. She gave it up when our middle one arrived. She was 3.5 at the time. Swapped it for her first watch :wink:

Middle one did not want a dummy but found her thumb instead which she is still doing at 3.5. My youngest has a dummy (10 months). I will be doing the watch trick again at about three. Past that sort of age I think it looks awful.

Hope I have not offended anybody :oops:

Both mine had dummies, they were an absolute life saver.........Thomas could scream for England the only things that would comfort him were his dummies one in each hand and one in his mouth and he used to sleep through the night bliss.............. :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Owen used to have one to rub his ear with and one for his mouth!

Before having children I always said a big no to dummies. However when my eldest was born she was a real screamer and fed for hours, which I felt was a comfort thing. In desperation I gave her a dummy and never looked back. She gave it up when our middle one arrived. She was 3.5 at the time. Swapped it for her first watch :wink:

sucking watches should never be encouraged... :shock:

Phil

Hi All, :D

My two didn't have dummies, but Jenny sucked her thumb for ages. It even made her thumbs different sizes because she only used to suck the same one.

On the subject of dummies I had to take tom's PE kit into his school because he'd forgoton it :roll: I couldn't beleive it when a girl who must have been about fourteen walked past with a dummy in her mouth :!:

Apparantly some teenage girls suck dummies now as an alternative to smoking, and to stop them eating sweeties.

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

I'd rather have a bag of Revels and an extra couple of lb's on my bum any day!

:shock: - I think I'd rather suck a dummy :?

I sucked my thumb until I was 10 and had to have braces and a lot of dental work - my daughter had a dummy but only at sleep time, never to run around with all day. My son sucked his thumb even though I tried to get him to use a dummy instead after all the dental hassle I'd had to endure - it was so difficult to get him to stop - much easier to get rid of a dummy.

Lauren also had dummies at sleep time - one in each hand and one in her mouth and still talks about them longingly. She found a feeder cup with a rubbery spout the other day and became very attached to it for an hour or so :roll: Jake never wanted a dummy or sucked his thumb.

I can't understand why they are used so much as an all day pacifier instead of an aid to sleeping :? - perhaps that's why children don't speak properly? (or am I just getting old? :? )

I can't understand why they are used so much as an all day pacifier instead of an aid to sleeping :? - perhaps that's why children don't speak properly? (or am I just getting old? :? )

:D:D

Owen had a dummy at night till he was 3, occasionally during the day, but only when he was feeling grotty. He has significant speech problems now, and I have been constantly re-assured by botht the GP and speech therapist that having a dummy at night does NOT cause speech problems, although they can cause baby teeth to come in at a slightly strange angle.

:?:?:?:?

Having said that, I would imagine that, if a toddler was trying to talk all day with a dummy stuck in it's mouth, that WOULD affect the way they form their words.

Yes, Shona - it's the 'all day and night' version I don't understand. Quite often these older children speak around the dummy and only the parent seems to understand what they are saying. What's worse is that the parent then accepts that way of speaking and lets it continue.

I wasn't getting at anyone - and I'm sure that Owen's speech problems wouldn't have been caused by night time use of a dummy in his early years. Is the therapist helping?

This child at Rosie's school talk round the dummy - I can't understand a word.

You're getting old as well then Clare :wink: Have you noticed that policemen are getting younger? :roll:

I was always against dummies ..... then I had children! Daniel would scream, cry the works, but wouldn't have a dumy anywhere near him :roll:

Didn't bother with the others, and none of them sucked their thumb either, unless demand feeding meant they didn't need one :?

I sucked my thumb 'till I was 11 :oops: and got paid 2p per day to stop :oops: took me ages :lol:

I did have a brace for a while, but I was 28 at the time, and it was after having teeth out!

karen x

I was always against dummies ..... then I had children! Daniel would scream, cry the works, but wouldn't have a dumy anywhere near him :roll:

Didn't bother with the others, and none of them sucked their thumb either, unless demand feeding meant they didn't need one :?

I think your children must have been similar to mine Karen :!: No 1 howled and gagged on dummy or bottle, had to be breast or spoon fed :( No 2 was an angel to feed and was happy and quite and as funny as a chicken :lol: No dummy even thought of.

Can't vote, as no children yet.. but...

I would prefer my child (ren) not to have a dummy, but all things change once you have an upset baby to deal with.

I sucked my thumb until I was at least 11, not sure how they got me to stop - but I do remember being teased occasionally - but obviously not enough to make me stop :!: At the time I think my thumb was longer - but it isn;t any more :shock: And I never had any probelms with my teeth - in fact my dentist said my teeth were perfect :D