Lorraine

Poorly head shaking chicken

I have an ex-batt who's been with us for 15 months and is slowly going down hill. We took her to the vet probably three weeks ago and he believes her kidneys are slowly failing so she's on borrowed time. She's lost a lot of weight and is now skin and bone, she's got a really mucky rear end and her poops vary from liquid to solids. The problem now is she's started shaking her head when she's sat down and falling asleep (which she now does a lot). She's still eating a bit (rice, greens, mealworms, tomatoes) and seems relatively happy in herself, but the head shaking must be annoying her. She's in the conservatory as she doesn't have the strength to get in and out of the coop and she keeps getting knocked over by the others. It's not too hot and we keep the blinds down to keep it cool.

Any ideas re the head shaking? Talking to the vet tomorrow to see what he thinks. She's not itching round her head as I did wonder about her ears as the shaking seems involuntary. Could it be nerve damage?

My worry is letting her suffer, but as said above she seems happy so we want to give her every chance possible. We keep expecting to find her gone but she keeps going.

Lorraine