Emma Tarpey

Neutering: good or bad???

Neutering good or bad???  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Neutering good or bad???

• Good
    • Bad

I don't have experience of dogs, to be fair - but I would not have an un-neutered cat in the house, both because of the awful smell, and the fact that they fight, and are liable to go out and cause multiplication. :wink:

He only has to get out once and find an unspayed lady-dog (avoiding word that might be censored!) and you know what would happen. In my view unless you're planning to breed from him, getting him neutered would be kinder to everyone - he won't miss anything, he'll be calmer and won't spray, and there's no risk of someone else's dog having puppies. If he's got a great personality, he won't lose it.

Definitely best to neuter him IMO. You won't be breeding from him, so he has no need of his wedding tackle - and if he isn't going to use it, he'll be happier without it. However, it's not a cure-all: it will stop him spraying if it's sexually motivated, but it won't stop him marking his territory - and he now sees the inside of the house as an acceptable place to mark. You need to remove all traces of the smell - use a special cleaner designed for pet smells (supermarkets usually sell one, or you can get it from your vet) or baking soda. Don't use anything ammonia-based as this smells like urine to dogs. If you don't remove the odour completely, he will continue to go in the house, neutered or not.

Then think about his training. Just leaving the back door open for him is no good if he doesn't know he's supposed to pee outside. You might need to go back to square one with his training - out in the garden straight after waking, playing, eating and plenty of times in between, stays out until he pees, lots of fuss when he does it. Ignore any mistakes in the house - punishing him for them is pointless. And don't use newspaper indoors as that'll just confuse him and he'll think any newspaper is an acceptable toilet, regardless of where it is.

Neutering isn't a cure-all: it will stop sexual behaviour, but not general excitement. Is he getting enough stimulation? Borders have heavy exercise requirements and need to keep their minds active. Do you do any training classes with him? That will help.

He is currently practicing for his kennel club gold award every week at our dog training classes.

We have started to give him treats when he wees in the garden and lots of praise!!! And ignore him when he does it in the house.

He usually has a HUGE run in our local field and plays for hours with his treat ball or if we are busy a stroll around the park!

Thank you so much for your advice and we'll try covering up his usual spraying spots :D

How old is Alfie? Has he always marked his territory indoors?

If he's a young dog then neutering him could cure the marking if his hormones have just started to kick in. One of my black Labs used to mark anything new that came into the house or anywhere he hadn't been for a while (spare bedroom furniture). However, he stopped doing it after he was castrated but he was 18months at the time.

Castration doesn't change their personalities, certainly not in my experience, but as Victoriabunny says, it's not a cure-all for established behaviours.

It does sound as though Alfie's testosterone has kicked in and is letting the household know that he thinks he is in charge. :roll:

If he's only 18 months I would have him neutered. It does cut out all sorts of unwanted male behaviour and the dog will be much happier and less frustrated once his testosterone levels have dropped (can take up to 6 months after castration).

It's a very straight forward operation and they are up and about in no time.

Discuss it with your vet and then decide for yourself what is right for your dog.

Good luck.

There is something called chemical castration which you could try, it is only short term but it might give you an idea of what might change. When I say short term it lasts about 6 weeks maximum.

My dog will be 4 next month, he has not been castrated and I cannot at the moment justify doing it. There were many times when he was younger that I would have easily taken him to the vets but on very good advise I was told to wait until he was at least 18 months, his problem was running off and generally not taking enough notice of commands. That has come with maturity and me being in charge.

I have not experienced the problem you have had and I would imagine that castration will sort your dog out but personally I don't think it is necessarily always a good idea, There arn't stray dogs roaming the streets now like there were when I was a kid so the chances of them meeting a female is fairly remote.

At the end of the day you have to do what you think is right for you and your dog.

Good luck