SharonX

Carrots - Stupid Question?

Hi.

I am quite new to growing veg and I have recently planted some carrot plants which I purchased from a garden centre. I have 5 in total and I was told I would get 5 bunches of carrots from each. Now I am wondering if this is correct information and I am actually going to get 5 carrots?? :oops:

They are 5 single plants the same as you would get from the top of a carrot so this is making me wonder if I have wasted my money?

Grateful if anyone could let me know what to expect.

Thanks

Well I have just got back from the allotment and my dad was laughing at me because I AM only going to get 5 carrots! :oops:

With that Mum turned up and she has just brought 2 trays of carrots containing about 24 plants. She thought you gat a bunch from each too! At least she has 24 carrots to look forward to if they take. Can't see 5 going too far! Oh well will seed next year :)

Yep, these things happen, wouldn't worry about it.

Most people don't transplant or move carrots as the lovely carrotty-smell that results can attract the dreaded carrot fly. either try planting other smelly thigns around them - e.g. onions, gaarlic, etc - or insect mesh should work.

I've thinned carrots out without having any problems, it depends on the area, time of year etc as to how much of a risk carrot fly is. Oh, and luck, too!

You may find that you get forked roots because root crops don't usually like being moved. We once tried to do this with parsnips in the hope of an early crop but they just grew all hairy roots and no subtance.

It is not too late to try to grow carrots from seed, they wouldn't get particularly big but they are quite hardy so will grow in cooler temperatures. Make sure you put slug pellets down when you sow them though because this is the most common reason for carrot failure. They germinate then get scoffed before you even see them :twisted: