jools+6

red mite and steam cleaners

:evil: we have found some red mite in the coop while cleaning out . has anyone tried one of those steam cleaner things ? the ones that do miraculous things to your tiling grout etc . just thought that they might zap the damned things . was thinking it might be worth buying one to use once a week while cleaning out and then ( once dry ) powdering ... :think:

I steam cleaned my cube too :D and the roosting bars, twice actually as they needed a soak to help clean them properly, then I steamed them afterwards too, I must have looked totally mad trailing the steam cleaner and electric flex into the chicken run :lol:

There wern't any mites when I looked yesterday but I thought I'd try again in a few days just to make sure.

Karen x

I have just won the red mite battle! Its been a long painfull war but I am victorious :dance:

I have a wooden coop not an eglu or cube.

The method was....

Blow torch :lol:

Jet wash :|

Scrub with Jeys fluid :evil:

Powder with poultry sheild :think:

Powder hens with Poultry Sheild :(

Blow torch :twisted:

Scrub with dettol :vom:

Spray with pet flea spray (£20.00 :shock: )

Blow torch :pray:

Paint with fence paint :roll:

Spray with Pet flea spray (£15.00 :shock: )

Powder with poultry sheild :notalk:

Then after all that :wall: resort to an age old formula of a mix of petrol and diesel painted on and rubbed in with a rag. ITS WORKED :dance: . No one light a match!

Not advisable on a plastic eglu though!!

My hubby has just vacuumed , steamed and then used his heat gun on the little blighters🥵.

We hope this will help, for good measure we have dusted our ladies with demetrius earth.

Don't want to use chemicals so limited on what we can do.

Just read about some  predatory mites that feed on the red mites. Android predator mites. You can apparently buy them and they are an effective way to rid your coop of red mites.

I will keep you posted 📫