lay

its a boy

Hi,

We bought an Eglu about a Month ago, as our friend had baby Chickens which we fell in love with. I took slightly more persuading than my boyfriend did, but now they are here I have just fallen in love with them. The only Problem is that when we caught our two we caught a boy and a girl, which we did not realise at the time. The farmer said that we could bring the boy back and swap it for a girl. He is 12 weeks old and Crowing slightly at the moment, but I am sure that is just the start of what is too come.

I would love to keep him but as we are in a residential area I am not sue it would go down too well with both neighbours or even if it is allowed.

I am worried that he will not be accepted back on the farm and as he has been used to regular feeds he might struggle to find food :( as they are completley free range on the farm.

Any suggestions???

I'm sure he will be fine if you take him back to the farm. He will not allow himself to starve (chickens aren't stupid you know ) :lol:

Keeping him in a residential area will give you big problems and your present hen will appreciate a hen replacement (if you know what I mean :wink: )

:D

A BIG WELCOME to the forum

Well, we finally got a replacement for the cockerel, but I'm not sure we're getting any closer. It looks less like a boy than the last, but not as much like a girl as our other!

Our previous boy had a handsome comb, well our new 'girl' also has a small comb, bright yellow legs and no feathers on them unlike our existing girl. We were however reassured to see that when we put 'new girl' in Pongo decided to attack her which I assume was to establish the pecking order. The Farmer is adament that we now have a girl, we however are not so sure.

Any ideas anyone ....???????????

What a relief. I was dreading we may have to say good bye to another bird.

I was reassured to see Pongo peck her as I thought she may not do this to a Boy.

Roll on Septmeber - When we hopefully we will get some very tasty organic eggs!

Thanks!!

Hens assert their superiority in different ways; Mine used to be happy just to peck each other occasionally to remind a hen of their status. Then I got Lily, who is a largish pekin bantam' she is now top hen and will hold onto their neck feathers until they submit and even mount some of them to demonstrate her dominance :? So don't worry if your hen starts to do this.

With some breeds you can tell from the tail feather, males tend to have sharply pointed feathers as they get to the base of the tail and tend to grow long arching tail feathers. Does sound like you have a lirrle girl this time though