S & S

Two male's living together???

I am taking two lion head rabbits from someone who no longer can keep them,

they are approx 8 months, but the owners thought they were female when got them but now thinks they are both male!!!!

Either way, i will probabley have to get them neutered, but does anyone know if two uneutered bunnies can live together, i would think not but i may be wrong, also any idea how much is costs to get the done.

many thanks

Get them neutered asap and then watch them together. A visit to the vet will confirm their sex anyway.

I kept two males together both were neutered. Are they brothers? If so, may be easier once neutered.

Neutering costs vary from about £30-£50 depending on the vet. It's worth doing anyway. they tend to behave differently.

It's true that neutered males from the same litter can be bonded and live quite happily together but it can also be a disaster. You need to get them neutered if you plan to keep them. Two male bunnies be very aggressive and inflict serious injuries in the worst case scenario. Neutered males are calmer, easier to handle and they will not mark their territory.

You should not consider keeping any un-neutered rabbits together they are just too hormonal. In female rabbits there is a high risk of ovarian cancer from about the age of 2 which is usually fatal.

The best match for rabbits is a male with a female.

In my opinion (and experience with many different and difficult rabbit bonding combinations) you should consider speaking to a rabbit rescue centre to see if they can help you find a suitable neutered female to bond with one of the males and see if they can find a home and a match for the other.

It's not often that I'd advocate giving up a rabbit to a rescue but in this case it is in the interest of the rabbit. Male/male pairs can end in tears.

I hope this is helpful, although probably not what you wanted to hear.. :(

we've got too male rabbits,have had them a year in june.up until recently they were happy together,started off in a rablu,then put them in a hutch for winter and now put them back in the rablu,they seem to be trying to mate all the time,so have now seperated them(they can still see each other) i am hoping if i have them "done" they will be better towards one another and will be able to put them back together..fingers crossed!

I think it's all to do with the rabbits in question - I had two brothers that I bred and kept together (they were brothers) and they are still living happily with each other un-neutered. The only time they ever had a little fight (it wasn't anything serious just one chasing the other trying to pull fur) was when Dad got out and ran over to the run, his presence must have set them off. After I removed him they were fine again and have been ever since. I have read though that most males do fight, the minority of male pairings are a success!

Catherine