Lib

Spaying

Hi

My two girls have recently been spayed (approx 3 weeks ago) but unfortunately they still don't like each other! We keep trying to introduce them but they're still fight terribly - get the impression that if we left them to it, it would be to the death (they are quite a large breed so the fighting is pretty nasty). They are only out together for about 30 seconds before all hell breaks loose!!!

The girls are sisters and got on great until about 5 months old. Unfortunately due to phantom pregnancy issues (and one of them being forced to sleep outside the eglu all the time - which subsequently made her poorly), one is in the eglu and the other is now in a hutch on the patio. Prior to the spaying, I think they were apart for just under 8 weeks, making it about 11 weeks in total.

I was under the impression that spaying would have calmed them both down? Peggy is a chilled out bunny but unfortunately Georgie is having none of it and has taken several chunks out of her sister. I'm starting to think that they will never like each again.

I was wondering if any one else has had a similar experience?

have you tried putting the hutch and eglu as near to each ohter as poss for about a week so that both bunnies can see each ohter, smell and maybe even touch noses without any injury to both..... this might help slowly reaquaint them sometimes if they are kept apart for too long it is very hard to reestablish them as sisters as they have both got used to their own territory. Try it if you can and then slowly start giving them a chance in a large enclosed run/space where there is an escape route eg you! If things turn nasty. If they do turn nasty try leaving them in parallel runs again but for longer and so on I tried something similar and it worked for me alough my girls were younger and had not been apart for so long Don't give up yet in rabbit terms even though they are spayed they're stil quite young! :roll:

Many thanks for that Tess.

The hutch and the eglu run face each other so the girls see each other all day long - just enough space to open the hutch/eglu run door. When they are let out, they will go and sit outside the other ones hutch/run and touch noses but unfortunately that then turns into having a little nip. We've tried letting them out together again this afternoon but they had their worse fight to date. It was horrendous to watch and one of them even screamed. It actually took myself, my hubby and father-in-law to seperate them as they were locked together. Poor Georgie is now hopping on 3 legs - her other leg isn't broken but think she has been bitten by her sister and is obviously very sore. There is no way that we're going through what we've been through today and it's also not fair on the girls. Poor Peggy has been hiding in her bedroom ever since! Will most probably be going back to the vets again on Monday to have Georgie checked out.

Aww, poor bunny. They only ever scream when they are in real pain, so it must hurt :(

They will take a while after spaying for the hormones to quieten down, but this does sound bad. Fortunately I have never come across it, so can't help. But a brilliant lady, Karen Wren of http://www.rossrabbits.co.uk is the breeder that we bought our girls from, she has 30 years experience of keeping and breeding bunnies and there's nothing she doesn't know about them and their behaviour. I would recommend that you look at her site and contact her.

Thanks for the contact details Clare. I'm going to give the breeder from whom I got the girls from a call over the next couple of days to see if he has any ideas.

I'm pleased to report that we've been to the vets tonight and George's injury is not as serious as I first thought. It's still pretty nasty but there is no ligament or tissue damage. She's been given a shot of antibiotics and another shot of anti-imflammatory just to make sure that no infection sets in. Just think she needs plenty of TLC over the next couple of days.

Even the vet was pretty shocked at the girls' behaviour!!!!