Cate in NZ

Hayfever

Yesterday a guy came to see me at work, & during our conversation the subject turned to hayfever (he's suffering very badly at present). Anyway we somehow ended up with a theory that hayfever doesn't affect/ affects less severely, those born in the summer months. I don't know if that's really true, but it definately works in my family, hubby (Jan) suffering dreadfully, son (Nov) just developed symptoms this year, daughter & I (june & July), no problems. I've got 2 sisters, the June baby, no problems, Feb sister, desperate! Hubby's sister (Jan) & her husband (Feb), both have/ had hayfever. Friends with hayfever all have winter birthdays (1 in October, the rest through till march), 1 friend with a summer birthday admits to slight itchy eyes only, but nothing to compare with his december born wife. The guy who triggered all this could draw the same kind of conclusions from his family and friends.

So, this is just a bit of curiosity really, but is it true? How many of you out there with summer birthdays have hayfever?

:D:D:D

That sounded such a good theory...until...the worst case I've ever seen was 2 weeks ago; my son's girlfriend was sitting looking totally distraught, puffy, streaming, miserable..never seen anyone so bad with hayfever...it was on her birthday poor child, June 8th!

Unless its just June people are the exception to the rule!

When I saw the state she was in, I honestly thought my son had dumped her. :shock: Anyone have any good remedies either as prevention or immediate action? Her bus goes past fields of oil seed rape & we think that set it off that day.

Oh, well, sounded such a good theory and you've just blown it out of the water :( .

Cures, not really, but apparently locally produced honey is supposed to work- thats anecdotal, not evidence based, but I do know of a few people who swear by it, so worth a try.

I've got a friend who does acupuncture, the hayfever treatment is literally a bit of gentle twiddling in a particular spot by the toes, and I've met several of her patients who all say it's fantastic, and really works. If they have such severe symptoms that her toe treatment doesn't work she refers them to one of her GP colleagues who puts a few needles around the eyes, and again it almost always works. She taught me the basics of toe acupuncture whilst I wasworking alongside her for a while, but I never got the opportunity to try it. hubby's now desperate for me to use him as a guinea pig, but I can't get any needles! I am seriously looking into getting properly qualified in basic acupuncture though I've been so impressed by the little bit I've seen.

Otherwise conventional treatment is steroids, in varying doses, invariably effective, eventually, but high dose steroids :shock:

I didn't mention antihistamines, which are first line, but somehow I'd leapt straight onto severe hayfever :roll: , where antihistamines only seem to touch the edges. Hubby's sister used to use a homeopathic treatment, but I can't remember what right now, but she never actually found it to be effective for her, and I actually know next to nothing about homeopathy.

Miserable though, hayfever, some people really suffer with it. I always feel for the youngsters who have to sit GCSE's etc with streaming eyes and full blown hayfever. How can you perform at your best feeling like that :?

The other side of it is that for the entire of May & June, as well as a substantial part of July hubby rarely ventures into the garden, maybe for a bit of R&R with a bottle of wine at dusk, but at lawn-mowing, weeding or cleaning out the eglu & rabbit hutch time he's definitely too incapacitated to help out :roll:

Well, I was waiting for someone else to spell antihistamines before mentioning that they had not helped her. Sadly she can't afford homeopathy or acupuncture, both of which I believe to be worth trying. I've had amazing results with both, but not hayfever related. Important to feel you've found the right practitioner though, its very person specific, so over the counter forms are less effective. Yes, I'd heard about the honey...must see if she'll eat some! :D

One of my children was born in December and the other is September. She hasn't got hayfever, but both children have had eczema, which I think I've heard is from the same family.

I've heard about local honey. Something about the bees picking up pollen and this helping to develop anti-bodies, so, honey that isn't local wouldn't have the relevant anti-bodies for the vacinity that we live in, if that makes sense.