star

Rablu/eglu for rabbits

Hi, I have two rabbits who despite lotsof attention, toys, etc, chew everything including their cage. I now need to buy a new cage as theirs is not safe for night time of when we are away from the house. I have temporay measures in place. What are peoples opinions in eglus for rabbits. Could they chew them?? are they big enough?? Any advice greatfully recieved.

Thank you, Star (blackrabbit)(blackrabbit):D

Hello Star!

I bought my rablu last year, and for a while thought I had made a mistake. But I have found my answer - see later.

Firstly, I think it almost impossible for bunnies to chew it. It is curved, strong plastic so nowhere to get a grip! And for me this is the big advantage - it cannot be chewed by foxes either. The rablu itself is not big enough to keep 2 bunnies in for any length of time in my opinion. I keep the door open always.

I found the run a bit problematic. It is a fair size, but if your rabbits don't want to be caught then i can't find a way to catch them. Also not possible to reach them from above. And my bunnies need more space.

The run comes in 2 halves. I have attached the 1st half to the rablu as normal, but slid the 2nd half over it thus shortening the run and naking them easier to access! I then made my own "bunny garden" using anything to hand. If feeling very insecure I enclose them in the rablu run at night. It has wire under to prevent digging out - or in!

Hope this helps.

Jan

Thanks for info.

:)

Hello Star!

I bought my rablu last year, and for a while thought I had made a mistake. But I have found my answer - see later.

Firstly, I think it almost impossible for bunnies to chew it. It is curved, strong plastic so nowhere to get a grip! And for me this is the big advantage - it cannot be chewed by foxes either. The rablu itself is not big enough to keep 2 bunnies in for any length of time in my opinion. I keep the door open always.

I found the run a bit problematic. It is a fair size, but if your rabbits don't want to be caught then i can't find a way to catch them. Also not possible to reach them from above. And my bunnies need more space.

The run comes in 2 halves. I have attached the 1st half to the rablu as normal, but slid the 2nd half over it thus shortening the run and naking them easier to access! I then made my own "bunny garden" using anything to hand. If feeling very insecure I enclose them in the rablu run at night. It has wire under to prevent digging out - or in!

Hope this helps.

Jan

I also have tended to keep door open of Rablu and let rabbits (at present it is gpigs we have) come and go as wish, which seems to suit them well. As for catching them, that seems best achieved by luring into house area with food, swiftly shutting the door over to prevent them getting into run, and picking them up via the eglu door. Similar sectioning off used when cleaning the run area.

Hope this helps. We reckoned that the eglu works out financially far better than constant replacement of chewed wooden hutches, and there is not the same fox risk if the silly bunny has chewed its way out of a wooden hutch!

Rablu - best housing ever !! My two love it. Great design as there's plenty of room, easy to clean, but not so easy to move as it's heavy but a minor problem and only a problem if it's on grass permanently, warm in winter and cool in summer and looks fantastic. (pink eglu)

Hi All, we recently purchased a Rablu for our two rex rabbits having been so impressed with our Eglu Cube.

I have one problem, they are using the rablu bit as a giant toilet!! This means I am having to clean them out almost daily (easier than a hutch but still a pain!). I have tried shutting the door during the day but as soon as I open it up at night they go in and poo and wee as if they have been holding on to it all day!!! :roll:

Also I would be interested in what people do in winter time. Do you leave them in the Rablu or move them into a hutch or bring them inside? Last year ours were in a hutch outside which I used to literally wrap in blankets and bubble wrap on a night (husband thinks I am bonkers!!). If they can stay in Rablu then I need to get them to poo and wee in run so they can sleep in the rablu at night!

Any advice greatly received!! :pray:

Hi, I have a slightly different problem but think that I can help you with yours - i.e. using the eglu as a giant litter tray.

Our rabbits use a litter tray and when we moved them from their old double decker wooden hutch this week I put the still soiled litter tray into their new run so that they would recognise it, feel a little at home and hopefully use it. They do and now I can clean the litter tray out each day without any worries that they won't return to it. The run door is open all day and they even return to the run to 'go' in the litter tray.

Perhaps, if you present your rabbits with a little tray (I lay a newspaper in it first) and then deposit some already soiled straw with poops into it, they might get the message. I hope that this helps.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

As I said above, our rabbits' eglu arrived 5 days ago and my rabbits have the run of the house and garden all day. They quite happily go into the run throughout the day to nibble the grass in there, to use their litter tray and to eat food. But they just won't go into the eglu and spend all night huddled in a corner of the run. It's very upsetting. The eglu has food and water in it and I've tried leaving a curly kale trail up to and into their eglu. I've even put their soiled straw from the litter tray into the eglu so that they know it's theirs to use. I've left the side hatch off during the day so that they can sniff inside it. They just won't go inside. It even rained all night on their first night and they just sat under the weather cover to keep dry. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

As I said above, our rabbits' eglu arrived 5 days ago and my rabbits have the run of the house and garden all day. They quite happily go into the run throughout the day to nibble the grass in there, to use their litter tray and to eat food. But they just won't go into the eglu and spend all night huddled in a corner of the run. It's very upsetting. The eglu has food and water in it and I've tried leaving a curly kale trail up to and into their eglu. I've even put their soiled straw from the litter tray into the eglu so that they know it's theirs to use. I've left the side hatch off during the day so that they can sniff inside it. They just won't go inside. It even rained all night on their first night and they just sat under the weather cover to keep dry. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Hi. Not sure if you'd feel happy bout doing this but put all their familiar bits inside the pod and put them in there with the door shut, that is if you can get hold of them! It might make them get used to it. We have a chicken cube and omlet recommend you keep the chickens in the 'house' overnight when you first get them so that they know where to go back to at night! My idea has the same principle I suppose...!

:D

Thank you Chops - a very good idea and we'll give it a go. They now very happily go in and out of the eglu all day long as that is the only place we are now putting their food. We are leaving the run open during the day so that have the rest of the garden too and are pleasantly surprised to find that they actually choose to spend a great deal of time in the run or eglu, just chilling.

Now the only issue (and I have confidence) is that they prefer to sleep in the run at night rather than going inside the eglu.

Slow but steady progress.

(red eglu)(black white rabbit)(black white rabbit)