Louise

Apples

Hi All,

I have a small apple tree in the garden which has never been that great but this year it is heaving with fruit. Problem is the apples aren't that nice to eat and they are very small they are not crab apples as they are partially red skinned.

Does anyone have an ide what I could do with them to make them more pallatable and also to maybe preserve them as it seems a shame to waste them :?

We used to have 2 apples treas in our back garden when I was growing up, that produced the most disgusting apples ever - my dad used to make them into homebrew wine and cider every year.

Our crab apples look like that as well.

I make a sort of crab apple jelly - except I don't make a clear jelly by straining the pulp through a jelly bag, I put the pulp through a sieve and use the sieved pulp, you get more from the apples and it still tastes wonderful.

Carl picked all the crab apples from the house today - could somebody find me an extra couple of hours please :?

Crab Apple and Clove Jelly :wink:

2.5kg crab apples

6 cloves

warmed sugar

Chop the crab apples without peeling or coring them and put into a pan with the cloves and 1.75 litres water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer until soft and pulpy.

Tip the contents of the pan into a scalded jelly bag over a large non-metallic container and allow to drip undisturbed for 8-12 hours - don't squeeze the jelly bag at all or you'll end up with cloudy jelly!

Measure the juice and pour into a clean pan. Add 450g warm sugar to every 570ml juice and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.

Raise the heat and boil hard for 10 minutes until setting point has been reached. Remove from the heat and skim off any scum from the surface. Pour into warm, clean dry jars, cover and seal and leave overnight to set. Store in a cool, dark, dry place.

..... or......

use Kate's recipe and do squeeze the jelly bag and make a cloudy jelly :D (or sieve it and use the pulp and make more 'jelly :wink: ) :lol:

I think i'll try adding cloves this time - have to check with Carl as he loves just plain crab apple 'jelly'. - one of the few sweet things he likes.

Pop your weighed sugar in a low oven for 10 minutes or so just before you're ready to add it so it's nice and warm and will dissolve more quickly when you stir it into the strained juice from the apples :wink: .

I forgot when I made this year's crab apple and clove jelly and the sugar dissolved perfectly well. If you find your jelly hasn't set the next day when it's cooled down, try reboiling it with the juice of a lemon or two and boil it for longer this time. Mine didn't set properly so the added lemon juice helped after another good boil!

Edited by Guest