eggmaster

Egg weight - fourth one a whopper!

I have three hens and they have all now laid their first eggs. Today Millie (a Meadowsweet ranger) laid her biggest egg yet - a whopper. I weighed it and it was 78 grammes. Is this unusual for a young hen? It was her fourth egg. Will they get even bigger :shock: Paul aged 11. (orange eglu)GNRPP(white chicken)!egg! !

When she started, Migsy laid a smallish one for 4-5 days then a big 70g+ egg, which turned out to be a double-yoker :D

Since then, they've all been small-medium. It takes a while for a young pullet's cycle to settle down, so it's quite usual to get the occasional large one (or small one for that matter). I believe they do get to be a larger average size as the hen gets older (much as with human mothers and babies), but you don't tend to get double-yokers so often :(

We noticed the other day that all of ours have gotten much bigger. Maggie used to lay 63g every day, Dollie around 60g, Bonnie 58gish and Purdy somewhere around 51g. Now Maggie is regularly laying 74g eggs, with Dollie and Bonnie both laying eggs in the mid sixties and Purdy laying eggs which are aroung 60g. They're all around 9 months old.

We didn't realise just how big Belle and Yodas eggs had got, until Darling started laying a couple of weeks ago - she lays gorgeous little dinky eggs, compared with Belles big whoppers. But of course, Belle used to lay little dinky eggs as well, and as she has got older, her eggs have got bigger!