Mumpty

Do chickens need grass?

Is it important for chickens to have access to grass? My girls are in a walk in run which is now just dust and a bit boring. They were allowed in the garden and loved it, but recently a friends chicken was taken by a fox mid afternoon right before her eyes and they also trash the flower borders, so now they're holed up in the walk in run. Is this okay, I do feel a bit guilty, they go mad when they're let out and run about as if they've made the great escape.

My chooks have never seen grass.....their run is a wooden base with layer of Easibed (desperately needing cleaned out but I can't get any Easibed because of the shortage), the garden is decking and stones.

I just try and give them a bit of greenery each day such as lettuce, sprouts etc (to ease my conscience :wink: ).

In the Winter mine only see grass at the weekend, when I'm home. As Fee says, just chuck 'em in a bit of green stuff each day. My 2 love spinach, and courgettes. I slice the courgette in half and they eat all the middle out of it leaving only the skin, sometimes I think they are planning to stuff it with savoury rice!! :?:lol:

We are letting our chooks out for a quick run but have found they are destroying the grass very quickly at the moment as its not growing. Come spring and early summer will let them out for a lot longer and they do love it. However, grass not essential, we give ours alsorts and obviously green is good.

I have just moved mine from on the lawn to under our carport. They sit there often when free ranging anyway.

I feel bad for taking them off the grass, but they do get to freerange whenever we are at home, and they have destroyed lots of the lawn, and our house is rented, so not so good.

We will have to see how they go there. They might get more interested in treats then I suppose.

On 7/10/2021 at 4:27 PM, LonelyBird said:

Would love to have chickens, but lawn replaced by gravel  But grass coming through at a great rate ! Would you advise chickens on gravel  I was thinking about one of those mobile chicken houses.

Advice please from all your chicken experts

Hi @LonelyBird,

Chickens don't need grass and the experiences of keeping them on gravel are not great. I really wouldn't opt for that.

They don't need grass but they do love it. Makes for a better coloured yolk as well. Don't know what size your gravel is but they will trash it digging for grubs and their poo will fertilise the ground and you will get even more grass. Eventually you will have your lawn back.