chelsea

another poo question!

im not worried but should I be ??

unusual poo spotted when cleaning out the run, Ella (brown chicken) did a slightly runny poo, caramel in colour with WHITE streaks in. should I be worried about the white-ness in the poo?!! :?

Sam (white chicken) is poo-ing normally :)

Isn't the white just pee? Both my chickens have white streaks in their doo...

nah - chickens are famous for their favourite song:

Red and yellow and pink and green, purple and orange and blue

I can poo a rainbow, poo a rainbow, poo a rainbow too.

Phil

canny cat is right - the white bits are the wee - chickens don't do wee (as such..) - it's the yellowish fluid and the white pasty bits - uric acid...

Phil

we really should have a chicken poo picture thread somewhere - showing the range...

in fact - unless anyone else is planning one - send me your chicken poo-pics ands I'll assemble a what-is-normal-poo gallery entry...

Hi, We've had our eglu for 11 days now and gave it a good clean out yesterday and have moved it three times (on grass) so far. We are amazed at the amount of poo 3 chickens can produce, it really has made a mess of the lawn and we're finding it a bit much!. Does anyone else feel the same about this, any best ideas etc?

They do seem to poop a lot dont they!!!

When we first got our girls we put bark in the run - this absorbs the poop - others use aubiose (which can be used for horse bedding) etc.

What a lot of people have done is to keep the eglu in one place, but to put in the bark or whatever which can then be raked out as and when and used in the compost bin or on the flower beds.

If you go into the gallery i would imagine you could find a few pictures of what people have done

Sorry, I am not technical enough to post a link :oops:

Hi, We've had our eglu for 11 days now and gave it a good clean out yesterday and have moved it three times (on grass) so far. We are amazed at the amount of poo 3 chickens can produce, it really has made a mess of the lawn and we're finding it a bit much!. Does anyone else feel the same about this, any best ideas etc?

We put our eglu down with hemcore in the run - you can just scoop it out when you clean the eglu :)

I also cant recommend HEMCORE enough, its fab in the run, it absorbs all the muck, poo and smells as the chickens scuttle around in it and the hemcore chips get coated in the poo etc (sorry its a bit graphic!), and also it has citronella in it, I have no smells at all.

I also empty my droppings tray every other day, of course you dont have to do it that often, but I personally find it helps keep the build up of poo down and it only takes a minute.

my eglu is dismantled and power-washed down every friday (my day off)..I try to stay on top of it, I love the feeling afterwards that my girls are all fresh in their home.

Just like having clean sheets on the bed, I love that too !! :lol::lol:

Thanks for the replies, I have no idea what Hemcore is but I will look it up. I am a real tidier and obsessive clean freak (think "Monica") so am also emptying droppings all the time but think I will try and chill out a bit. Having an 11 week old pup and the chickens all within the same week was a bit much. Don't worry I'm calming down a little......

Another boring question but my chickens are approx 20 weeks old (and huge), can I expect eggs in the next month or so all being well? Patience is not one of my virties either....

I found out about hemcore on here, and I googled it. Found out its something to do with the hemp plant. You will find that your local "horsey" store may stock it, we got it at our local farmer's supply store. Its used a lot for horsey bedding. Another similar bedding is also called "auboise", again very good at soaking up poo/muck and absorbing smells.

They both look very similar to bark chippings (a bit finer), some people do use bark chippings in the run....but hemcore and auboise dry out quicker when wet.

My chickens are a lot younger than yours - so im afraid i dont know much about laying...a lot of people say on here when you notice the comb on their heads going very red then they could be coming into laying.

Thanks for the replies, I have no idea what Hemcore is but I will look it up. I am a real tidier and obsessive clean freak (think "Monica") so am also emptying droppings all the time but think I will try and chill out a bit. Having an 11 week old pup and the chickens all within the same week was a bit much. Don't worry I'm calming down a little......

Another boring question but my chickens are approx 20 weeks old (and huge), can I expect eggs in the next month or so all being well? Patience is not one of my virties either....

ps - what sort of puppy do you have ??...post a piccy if you can..we love puppies on here !! :D