Sky

Algie in fish tank

About 3 months ago I set up a new tropical aquarium larger than my old one and using most of the water froom the old one. All has been fine, the plants are growing and the fish are fine. However, I am developing a small amount of fluffy algie on the plants. I am doing regular water changes, I have two quite large Algie eater fish who are constantly busy and am pulling some of the Algie off. How can I stop this growing please. I never had it in my other tank at all. The lights are on from 7 in the morning until 10 at night and the tank is not in sun light. I only feed the fish once a day and don't think that they are getting too much.

Or you can get a product called Phosorb (or similar) from your local aquarium shop. It absorbs the phosphates that the algae grow on and so they die off. It does not affect your aquarium plants. One sachet lasts about 3 months, depending on the size of your tank. It is not cheap though (about £16) but it worked perfectly in our tank. We reckon we can manage without it for a few months and then buy another sachet when the algae starts growing again. One note of caution: it is important to take the Phosorb out of the tank at the end of its working life or it deposits all the phosphate back into the water!

Or you can get a product called Phosorb (or similar) from your local aquarium shop. It absorbs the phosphates that the algae grow on and so they die off. It does not affect your aquarium plants. One sachet lasts about 3 months, depending on the size of your tank. It is not cheap though (about £16) but it worked perfectly in our tank. We reckon we can manage without it for a few months and then buy another sachet when the algae starts growing again. One note of caution: it is important to take the Phosorb out of the tank at the end of its working life or it deposits all the phosphate back into the water!

That sounds interesting, does it affect the fish at all, especially the Algie eating ones?

It sounds like your lights are on for too long. Also the nitrate level in the water will not help. Unfortunately tap water has quite a high nitrate level.

You can buy an algae treatment which will help get rid of the unsightly algae and help promote lant growth.

While mooching about wiggly wigglers I found THESE

Dunno if they would help but the site had tested them on their fish tank.

We bought some of these a while back for our fish tank. Don't expect it was connected, but a couple of weeks later, all the fish had died :shock: Wiggly Wigglers is a fab company though, so it was probably something to do with the fish rather than the product!