Dolly

Just fitted a beak ring

and now I feel terrible :(

Whilst poor Holly has no knickers left and looks really sore, now Roxy looks so sad with her ring on - shes standing there all subdued and almost looks like shes going to faint. I tried anti peck spray but that made no difference at all. Have ordered Ukadex to try that but felt I had no option to fit a beak ring in the meantime.

We've had our girls for 2 months with no problems at all and I just don't understand why this is happening - they have loads of space, entertainment, treats etc. -

Would the 'bumper bits' everyone talks about be better - I have the ring type from the Domestic Fowl Trust which we're sure will stop her eating, despite the instructions saying it wont.

Oh dear, does anyone have experience of these rings who can assure me that I'm not going to starve my girl.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I know what you mean...... I have both here, but went with the bumper bits in the end as they looked a bit more comfy...... I also read on here, that the beak rings can put dents in the beak.....

Sweetie has had her bit on for a few weeks now and there's been no pecking and she is fine, she doesn't even know it's there and she can eat anything!

I have no experience with beak rings, but I can vouch for bumper bits.

my skyline primrose was feather pecking and eating so we were forced to put on a bumper bit after a long battle with various types of anti peck products.

after an hour or two of moaning she looked as happy as usual, once shed got used to it. she can do everything that she would normally do but cannot remove the other girls feathers, as it prevents their mouths from closing properly. i was worried it seemed cruel, but if i had seen any sort of discomfort from it, id have taken it off right away. hope that helps!

don't feel bad, of course keep an eye on her to see that she's eating, but she will probably forget about it before you do. I've only used a bumper bit, but had a similar reaction - total bewilderment as to why she couldn't dig her beak into things, but she soon got used to it. Think about poor Holly's sore botty, and stand firm!

I've just ordered some beak rings and other bits from the Domestic Fowl Trust.

After the misery Henry has inflicted on Jess over the last 3 weeks, I'm not sure seeing her look a bit dejected and unhappy is going to bother me much!!

We're away this weekend and had hoped the bullying would have subsided by now so we can leave them for 2 days without worrying about the bloodbath we might come back to!