Headchicken

Garlic Powder question

I've done a search of the forum and come up empty :? Somewhere I remember reading the the "garlic powder" everyone uses is the type for horses, not the type you use in your kitchen; is this true? If so, what is the amount I should add to the feed (or give daily in porridge) to help with poo smell?

Thanks!

I believe its a whole clove (uncrushed) in their water.

I add some garlic powder to new pellets each time i fill the grub.

What i have now is a large tub in the kitchen (from wilkonsons) and filled with pellets and garlic and bokashi and then I take the grub in each night and refillfrom this so its less hassle.

The garlic powder is widely available at pet/horse stores (Omlet prob do it too)

Michelle

Hi there,

We use the horsey stuff to, well not me personally :o

I didn't even realise but ours came with a dosing scoop which is great once i realised.

We tend to add it each time we load up their grub container

but the smell...... :roll:

oh la la

Naomi

That is right....it is the horse variety.

I add about the equivalent of a teaspoonful to a grub full of pellets.

How often do you add a teaspoon to their grub pellets? every refill of their tub?

Yes.....if I remember. :oops::D

I am giving them worming pellets just now another 2 days of verm-x to go but after that i will put it in i bought horsey stuff from ascott smallholders shop online it came in an unresealable packet so really need a jar to keep it in the stench is fantastic in my garage and the packet is still sealed lol

What i have now is a large tub in the kitchen (from wilkonsons) and filled with pellets and garlic and bokashi and then I take the grub in each night and refillfrom this so its less hassle.

The garlic powder is widely available at pet/horse stores (Omlet prob do it too)

Michelle

Omlet do sell the garlic powder but I would get it from somewhere else.

I ordered the garlic powder from them along with some other items, well there was no packing in the box so when it arrived it had been squashed during delivery so the garlic container smashed.... you can imagine the smell. :shock:

Omlet replaced the garlic powder but refused to replace the other items even though they were garlic scented, the parcel had also got damp so the powder was stuck to the other items, I had to bin them I could not cope with the smell. :roll:

I won't be ordering things from Omlet again, I will go else where unless they improve their packaging.

Chrissie

Michelle

Omlet do sell the garlic powder but I would get it from somewhere else.

I ordered the garlic powder from them along with some other items, well there was no packing in the box so when it arrived it had been squashed during delivery so the garlic container smashed.... you can imagine the smell. :shock:

Omlet replaced the garlic powder but refused to replace the other items even though they were garlic scented, the parcel had also got damp so the powder was stuck to the other items, I had to bin them I could not cope with the smell. :roll:

I won't be ordering things from Omlet again, I will go else where unless they improve their packaging.

Chrissie

Oh girl understandably you would be miffed at that! I haven't even opened mine yet and it stinks to high heaven so i can imagine how much that would of stank yuk

I'm interested in this as well. Being under a time crunch I just went to the local organic market and got the little jar of garlic powder from the spice aisle. Will this work too, or should I stop using it? It smells rather potent. :D

Not sure how much you paid for that or what it contains.

Pricewise - I only pay £4.50 for 1kg tub of own-brand Garlic Powder in a horse supply shop. The branded N.A.F. stuff is twice the price, as is the stuff you get from Omlet. Worth finding a horse supply outlet near you, google Equestrian Supplies or Tack Shop and you may find one.

This stuff.

http://www.tackshop.co.uk/posit/shop/search.php

A tub lasts me well over 6 months and I use daily in Summer, but much less in Winter (when people are not in their gardens so much and less windows open. Don't notice smell in colder weather).

Hi, I wanted to ask that question too. i just bought some garlic for horses to feed our hens, and when i opened it they look exactly like the granules I use for cooking that I get from chinese supermarket too. Would be much cheaper if i can use this instead of ordering them especially in whats the difference?