Imo

Quick advice please? Chook got by fox!!

Hello! Just posting because my mum has just told me that Queenie has been got by a fox (I'm away from home at the moment), and I don't know what to advice her?

Queenie is injured but still alive... she has a puncture wound the size of a penny. My mum has just left her alone because she is so paniced and stressed out. She's completely gone off food.... does anyone have any experience of a similar thing happening? Is there anything she can do?

My dog, Mabel (see left) got hold of Samosa last week. :( I was in a total state. Threw Samosa into the car and drove to vets.

Vets, not very sympathetic, but cleaned her up - like Queenie she had punctures (actually about 5) - and gave her a course of antibiotic injections.

Each day, OH and I cleaned the wounds in warm, salted water. Kept her apart the first night as vets said that they can die of shock later on (not to worry you, it didn't happen to Samosa).

I gave her peace and quiet, some grapes to check she would eat, and let her out the next morning.

Good luck.

Thanks very much, we will try that!! Your dog looks lovely, despite the naughty behaviour! We sadly lost our old spaniel last week, hence the fox appearing I think as they can usually smell another animal in the vicinity!

If your mum can catch her get her to put the hen in a cardboard box with a hot water bottle if possible as the hen will need to be kept warm to limit the affects of the stress :( offer food and water

The wound needs to be cleaned up with salty water

If the wound doesnt look better in the morning or if its penetrated deeply I would get the hen to a vets

Keep the hen in until the wound is well on the way to healing then cover it with purple spray before she goes back with the others or they might peck at it

If in any doubt the vets may be the best option just in case

Thank you all for your advice.... Just as an update, we have discovered a huge wound on her back that will definitely need some vet attention... she has been such a state, we can't believe we didn't see the wound on her back but when we bathe her, we wrap a towel around her to keep her calmer so we stupidly missed it! The puncture wounds are her side are healing quickly, but the fox obviously got her back and it's just really bad! Fingers crossed... the foxes seem to be very active this time of year.

Just thought I'd update as a warning to all chicken owners...

Queeny had to be sadly put down. Her wounds weren't improving, and she was injured beyond any point of return... I won't get too graphic but she was in a terrible state and was put to sleep.

Today, the fox came back and killed Vivienne... He broke through the fence enclosure and was ruthless. I hasten to add while we do let our chickens roam, we always keep a close eye on them and we are never careless, we have never had any problems with foxes before despite our girls being allowed to roam the garden (and as you can imagine, we had a very keen eye on Vivienne this past week and were so protective of her!). I can only presume that the loss of our dog meant the fox felt free to enter the territory, and that this time of year perhaps mean that the foxes are much more active?