Hi there,

I'm sorry for bringing up the subject of foxes again, I am new to chicken keeping and this forum, and have only had my chooks for 4 days. However it only took 1 day for the fox to discover their whereabouts. Since then every night, and I think all night, the fox has been trying to get into their (green eglu) . They must be terrified, and tonight were very reluctant to go to bed, I think they know whats in store.. In desperation I have ordered a foxwatch which will hopefully arrive soon. But I was just wondering if the fox will eventually give up if it finds that it cant get into the eglu (hopefully!)? I really would appreciate and advice, help on anything else we can do, as now it knows they are there, it wont leave them alone, even though I sent my 2 dogs out to it last night.. I'm feeling really guilty about how awfull it must be for them to be so close to a fox trying to get to them. :(

I don't have a Foxwatch but I'm sure it will help.

I'm sure you do anyway, but make sure you shut the eglu door at night if you know there is a fox around then he can't get at them at night. I shut my girls in at dark and open the eglu door at 7.30am (but more due to noise for me rather than foxes).

What about electric fencing. The Omlet netting can be electrified (but you need to buy the electrification kit on top of the fencing cost). There are some posts on this forum somewhere about how to do it.

Just wanted to mention elec fencing just in case you were not aware of it. But as I don't have either, I'm not the best person to give advice on which is best.

There will be lots of forum members with fox watch and/or elec fencing who I'm sure will pick up on this post in the next few days and share their experiences (and costs......).

I would think once Mr Fox has found you he's not likely to give up.

Sure you've seen it, but just in case, there's a fox bit in FAQ.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=235

Hopefully it will go away :( an old wives tale is to get a chap to wee around the run as foxes don't like the smell (ladies wee doesnt work apparently :shock: ) in desperation while you wait for the foxwatch to arrive it might be worth a try (if your garden is overlooked get your chosen chap to wee in a bottle for you - the things we do for our chickens eh?) Also let the dogs wee around the run just in case their scent outs it off

If you ahvent pegged the run down to the ground that might be worth doing just to give you a little more peace of mind not that an unpegged run is vulnerable it just might make you feel better

I'm really sorry I can't be more constructive :(

Thank you everyone for all your advice, I think that I will get my son to wee around tomorrow!! Hopefully that will help until the foxwatch arrives. The run skirt has a couple of those clips to hold it down and I have also put bricks on the skirt. So I guess that there is nothing else I can do. Its mainly the eglu itself that the foxes are trying to dig into, so it must be really scary for the chooks, fingers crosses it is fox resistant. :pray::pray::pray:

Sorry to hear this - the foxes are hungry and some are feeding young at this time of year so I wouldn't expect them to get bored and go away.

They're like dogs, they will come back again and again in the hopes that they will get lucky.

You're doing all you can - hope your Foxwatch arrives soon.

What a fright - I have seen foxes out in the field behind my house - and my neigbours have 3 chickens out there in a taped off run with a coop in the middle :shock: No fox protection AT ALL! I have warned them but..... :shameonu: they don't seem to be doing anything about it :( At least you are doing all you can to prevent the fox from getting your chooks.

Do you think the smell of dogs deter foxes? I don't let my chickens free range unless my dogs are outside too, as fox watch, but just wondered if the foxes would smell the dogs and not come near anyway???? :think:

The dogs are in the garden a lot of the time,so I am sure that the foxes can smell them, and they have chased the fox off, but it still seems determined. I have only just let the girls out to free range twice, and keep my dogs in the garden during, (chickens and dogs kept apart with omlet fencing!!)In the hope that this will deter the fox. I also keep an eye out and door open., whilst they are free ranging.

I'm so glad that you lot are all here giving kind words of advice, I dont know what I would do without you. Thank you. Christine :clap::)

I used the tent pegs from the Omlet shop which were fab. I also put paving slabs around the outside as then foxy not only has to dig under but as to go a fair way across before getting to the run. Also had half size slabs on the inside so he'd have to burrow 2 or 3 feet!

We have a fox watch which does help as we've not seen a fox in a while....

Hope it goes well for you :D

Regarding using a foxwatch and having dogs. According to the info about foxwatch, it works of a 100degree angle from where it is set so, I am hoping that it wont bother the dogs inside the house as the angle will be pointed outwards. I am planning on turning it on when I go to bed and the dogs are inside. Apparently it only works on movement and heat activation, so it hopefully wont be on all the time. Also I have ordered a mains adapter, because it is very heavy on batteries and works better with the adapter. Lets hope it works, I will let you know.

We have a fox watch which is on constantly NEVER turn it off, but I've still seen foxes in the garden sniffing around the pen, I've even walked half way up the garden before they run off, so just be aware that they are not 100%.

persisitent little :evil: s!

I am thinking of making a walk in run with a roof and secured edges on the ground. I know it would cost but it's a good investment maybe?? Mine are used to more than the eglu run now. At the moment, they have an enclosure but no roof, have NEVER seen a fox near our garden, but alot of houses/paths etc back on to each other and we have a dog..

Maybe if they had a secure enclosure it might be safer as :evil: couldn't get right near the eglu?!?!?

That must be very scary for you! I had that problem with our pet bunnies at our old house which backed onto a school playing field. Foxes get very sneaky and are persistent.

Thats what we have done, we have our cube inside a 12ft sq chicken wired box, we've secured the chicken wire to planks of wood and burried them into the ground and then around the outside of the hen house we've layed a ground sheet which is secured to the base of the hen house and put gravel on top around the outside, Any fox would have its work cut out getting into as we call it the "Outter Chamber" Then on the inside we have the cube set right in the middle with its own run again - Yes this is called the "Inner Chamber" (handy when introducing new hens as you can lock one set in the outter chamber and the new hens in the inner chamber until they become familiar with each other!) Then the fox watch goes on. But like I say the fox watch doesn't stop them entering the garden. At night, we close the Cube pen and currently close the door of the cube. then of course close the outter chamber door. - so hens are nicely locked away. Don't know if that helps inspire anybody but it works a treat for us!.

scottty