CRAZY CHICK

How many chooks in an eglu ?

As a new chook owner I feel I am faced with the desire to keep more chickens! I have two at the moment, a Speckledy called Chocolate and an Amber Star called Muffin. They both live happliy in a (green eglu) However I was thinking of adding to my flock but was unsure how many chooks will comfortably fit in an eglu. There seems plenty of room as they both snuggle up tightly together. I have an average size garden (25m *10m ) What do people think from their own experiences? Also I was thinking of getting 2 battery rescue hens but would they be difficult to keep and should I opt for regular hens. So many questions, I would be grateful for your opinions.

Four chickens fit comfortably in the Eglu: I think you could get five in if they were hybrids, as they are quite small. But the standard run is not big enough for four hens.

If you keep your hens in the run most of the time, the rule of thumb is one extra metre of run per extra hen, so you would need to buy the converter and one straight extension to accommodate two new hens. Warning: you will find the Eglu and run difficult (almost impossible) to move when it is this long.

I understand that it is best not to mix weak battery hens and strong spoilt girls in the same run until the former have recovered, but as I have never done it someone else will be able to give a better reply.

As Gallina said, you can fit 4 big hens in a mark 2 Eglu, but the run is the deciding factor. If they freerange for most of the day, then they will be fine - I have 7 bantams in a mark 2, but they are in the garden most of the time.

When you're introducing new hens, it helps, but isn't essential if you have alternative accommodation so that they can meet your current flock on a gradual basis.

It seems to me that the more hens you get, the bigger the eglu becomes. There is always space in my eglu, even if all the hens (even the ones who aren't supposed to be sleeping there) get into it. So I think the deciding factor is run space. We have an extended run that quite happily handled three hybrids, an araucana and three banties. But we let ours out for at least a couple of hours a day, and generally more. This winter, when Duncan goes away to do Panto, we will be getting another extension because they won't be able to come out as much with the short days and no husband working at home and I don't think they'll cope with just the extended run. I think you would be fine with four hens and the converter personally. Or get some lovely bantams, and have more.

Thanks for your replys. My chooks free range all day in my garden and seem quite happy. Talking about bantams, can you eat their eggs? I don't know anything about them other than they look cute but seem to have impractical feathered feet for ground dwelling birds. Do people keep them as fancy pets rather than common or garden variety laying hens? I think the problem is I need a bigger house ( maybe a farm or small holding) Perhaps I shall start doing the lottery again. :) Shall suggest my plan to hubby tonight!

At one point I had 5 large chickens in my Mark2 Eglu - they snuggles up close at night, so I may have been able to fit another one in, but I left it at 5 as it gave them plenty room to move around if there was any squabbles in the dark! However, the basic run is no-where near big enough to comfortably house more than 2 or 3 chickens - you would need to either let them freerange all day, or build, or buy an extended run to give them the space they need! Of course, the more chickens you have, the more eggs you get!