buffie

Wine making!!

I have decided to make wine!! The chickens have inspired another hobby.

I would like it to be organic or good quality, anyone had a go or wanting to try. We could help each other!! Not going to do fruit wines, have to be 'real grapes' A red (cab sauv possibly) and then move onto a white later. :roll:

Let me know, think I'll start after hols in September!!

Bx :wink:

Hello! Would definitely be interested in making my own organic white but have absolutely no idea of where to start! I can feel a browse of Amazon coming on!

Look forward to someone coming along and telling us how to get started!

I'm really excited now. 8):D

Please tell me what you choose after looking at the link. Think I will call them this week and ask advice. I've had a site e mail me but wine takes 3-6 months :shock: that's a long time but if it were better :? I reckon the 4 week wine must be good or wouldn't sell. I want something that tastes like the commercial wines of SA or Australia really. New World, as they say in wine circles!!

Off for a glass of wine now, feel inspired would be great to have my own label, what could I call it? :wink:

The pug can make a micro brew for the winter!!

Bx :lol:

I'm really excited now. 8):D

I reckon the 4 week wine must be good or wouldn't sell. I want something that tastes like the commercial wines of SA or Australia really. New World, as they say in wine circles!!

Bx :lol:

It's a while since I made wine, but I think I ought to rain on your parade a little. I used to do the kits, and I had an uncle used to do it from fruit he pressed himself.

Don't have high expectations. You can make a drinkable plonk. Well, drinkable by you anyway - somehow you can be so much more forgiving of your own wine than other people. It's going to cost you a lot less than buying it and that makes it taste better too.

But you won't be able to reproduce the flavour and quality of the merlot and cabernet you get in the supermarkets. Even the kits that are described as cabernet style are not going to get close, or not unless they've come on a hell of a lot from when I was doing it. And if they have I don't expect it's organic techniques that I've suddenly cracked open the ancient art !

I've also heard tell from staff in the local Oddbins (which they very kindly built us within months of us moving into the area :oops::) ) that there are specifc techniques to get that explosive fruity bouquet that the new world wines all have nowadays. Did I hear the term 'carbonic maceration' ? You might not be able to reproduce those on a non industrial scale.

But having said all that - go for it. The four week kits sell because it's not hard, and you can have it to drink in 4-6 weeks. You can have my demi-johns from the garage. :D

Well I've decided to go for it - if it's crud then we can just pass it on to people at dinner parties... :wink:

The man (Julian) at the brewing shop is very helpful and I'm going in tomorrow for him to talk me through what I need to do and what my options are about kits etc. He did say though that the kits are much better than they used to be...

Let me know if you decide to go ahead and I'll keep you all informed with the events occuring in the study over the next 4ish weeks!

:lol: .. BUFFIE RESERVE :!::?::lol::lol::lol::lol: .

Great idea sarah :D and I won't be deterred. I'll try a quickie wine and then go the long haul, possibly.

Nothing to lose but later in sept after hols.

KateB please tell us what you do and how it all goes!!

Bx :wink:

Sorry, home wine making isn't something I'm going to get interested in :( .

I grew up with a keen home winemaker (aka Dad) and he made the lot, kits, hedgerows, grapes, you name it, he tried it, and we were expected to drink it :(:( . To be fair some of it was OK-ish, and I'm sure kits and things have moved on big time since then, but when my sisters and I get together and start reminiscing Dad's potato and rhubarb wines generally get a mention (sorry, 2 different wines, not 1 innovative combination). They were equally disgusting, and probably better suited to use as a drain cleaner :shock: Sufficient to put me off home made wine for a very long time :roll:

Oh, and the sounds of demi-johns making that popping sound as air escapes through the airlocks. They were stored at the bottom of the airing cupboard where it was warm, which was just outside my bedroom door. For years I fell asleep listening to the "pops", makes a change from counting sheep I suppose :?

I'll be interested to hear the results of your attempts, hopefully home-brewing technology has improved a lot since then :? Good luck with it :D

Yes the 70's was the wine and beer making era, well that's when my dad made it. Yep I had the memories of the kits and remember once dad and his friends, in our close, getting very erm... 'merry' :shock: and dad trying to pour camp coffee (yuk) with it's lid on, I cried because I thought 'Daddy was poorly'!! Poor child!! :oops:

I want to do it for exactly that reason happy memories and hopefully it's good now. I also remember being 18 and our dog died. I was devastated and alone, as mum and dad were away. I went to a neighbours, lovely old couple and he got me ratted on some elderflower wine :shock::wink: , disgusting but must have been lethal. I made them a cake as a thankyou. I tried the same recipe with a friend and it stuck your jaws together, I bet they had trouble with their teeth but they never mentioned it!! :oops::D:lol::lol:

Sorry way of track but that's what chickens have made me do, like the simple things. I've spent time with them this morning in the garden to stop myself being tempted to go to John Lewis (the mothership). The urge has subsided and the credit card can breath a sigh of relief.

Bx

Oh, and the sounds of demi-johns making that popping sound as air escapes through the airlocks. They were stored at the bottom of the airing cupboard where it was warm, which was just outside my bedroom door. For years I fell asleep listening to the "pops", makes a change from counting sheep I suppose :?

Oh yes - nostalgia lane. I'd forgotten the popping. And the yeasty smell of student rooms (that was the wine not the other growths).

And having to wipe up the overflow when the yeast went mad on the heating mat in the first few days.

And while we're on (next post) getting ratted, I remember one Sunday afternoon playing board games at a friend who had a demi john of mead and one of an unassuming rose. (pardon lack of accent). I think there were four of us decided to 'just try' the mead. At the end of that we started the rose. Fortunately I left, but the others finished the lot. Two demis between three and a bit. :shock: Sore heads all round. The things a student liver can put up with. :?

I remember, as a child, my mother would make ginger beer. I think she new me pretty well so hid it at the top of a tall cupboard.

I still managed to climb on a kitchen stool, balance one foot on a plastic rack on the inside of the cupboard door and (on tip toes) could reach the bottled nectar. I hassen to add it was in those bottles that you get Grolsch in now - the resealable ones.

I wasn't daft though I'd only ever take a sip or two out of each bottle that way mum thourght it was evaporating evenly. I ws only 8 !!!

I was a horrible child !

Well I've decided to go for it - if it's crud then we can just pass it on to people at dinner parties... :wink:

The man (Julian) at the brewing shop is very helpful and I'm going in tomorrow for him to talk me through what I need to do and what my options are about kits etc. He did say though that the kits are much better than they used to be...

Let me know if you decide to go ahead and I'll keep you all informed with the events occuring in the study over the next 4ish weeks!

If the wine making kits are anything like the beer making kits then they have changed significantly for the better over the last few years. Give it a go Kate! We have a really good brewshop and he says the same about kits.

:shock::oops: Forgot about the "Microbiology" end of Degree year bash. We fermented everything in sight .. and some good wines, ripened cheeses, and lab made "tempe"(something to due with beans and mould) were enjoyed, along with a few crackers and french bread ... no wonder I had forgotton ... :roll::wink: .