Ness3103

head shaking

i've had my girls since friday and i've noticed this evening that scarlet keeps shaking her head every now and then, she's eating and drinking and seems ok other than that. i checked her over and there's a little bit of hemcore in her nostril, i just wondered if that could be the cause. should i try and get it out or will she get rid of it herself :?: if it's not that just wondered what else it could be. i'm not sure what i'm looking for :oops: but can't see anything crawling on her.

sorry if i'm being an over cautious hen mum :anxious:

thank you :D although she sat very still for me which helped. she's still shaking her head though, i think i'm being a paranoid hen mum :lol: cos as i watched her the others shook their heads every now and then too, so maybe she just does it more :lol:

i'm now worrying in case they're too thin, and if they're warm enough, it's worse than when i my kids were babies :lol:

Chickens can shake their heads every now and then due to getting water up their noses and things like that. However if it persists or she becomes lethargic this could be the sign of a head cold. This can be easily treated with antubiotics that go in all the hens water as it is contagious.

Chickens can shake their heads every now and then due to getting water up their noses and things like that. However if it persists or she becomes lethargic this could be the sign of a head cold. This can be easily treated with antubiotics that go in all the hens water as it is contagious.

Just being curious as on subject of lotions and potions ...do you need to go to the vet to get the antibiotic solution for the water , what is it called???..I am just trying to learn. One of mine had as sticky eye the other week it went really cloudy and I just put some chloramphenicol human drops in and it is fine now...sorry just want to have a chicken first aid cupboard on standby!!

Guaranteee when they get ill it will be a Sunday

thanks indie :)

Ness Hope your chickens problem is just the hemcore well done for removing the nostril blockage!

Hi indie

We have a medicine cuboard for the girls as found we were always back and forth.

I would think first time they may ask to see the bird but our vets are an hour a way so after that we could just order what we needed and they would post it out.

I am at work atm... Ssh :lol: but will post the name of the powder when i get home. It is super easy to use and helpful to have as clears up sniffles in the whole group.

i've ordered my flubenvet, just waiting for it to arrive :) would there be any other symptoms of gapeworm? she is still shaking her head every now and then but other than that seems ok, eating, drinking and keeping the other girls in line :)

i can't remember if the breeder said they'd been wormed :oops: will it be ok to do them again if they've been done recently? i've had them just over a week now.

i can't remember if the breeder said they'd been wormed :oops: will it be ok to do them again if they've been done recently? i've had them just over a week now.

I'd call the breeder to find out Ness, so you can be sure. If they've just been done with Flube, you don't really want to be putting their bodies under the stress of doing it again right away.

With gapeworm they're struggling for air, so there's lots of head movement and neck stretching - it's not very pretty and it's fairly rare thank goodness.

thanx i'll get on to the breeder.

i've been watching scarlet and she isn't stretching her neck or gasping for air and the head shake is only now and then. i am getting paranoid now and when she yawned earlier i got worried. i think i'm worrying about everything she does now :roll: poor thing everytime she looks a bit dozy i go and see if she's ok, she's going to get fed up with me soon as i'm turning into an over-protective mother hen :lol:

i've ordered my flubenvet, just waiting for it to arrive :) would there be any other symptoms of gapeworm? she is still shaking her head every now and then but other than that seems ok, eating, drinking and keeping the other girls in line :)

Doesn't sound like gapeworm to me. Whilst it is true that they do shake their heads with this infestation, they do it constantly in an effort to try to dislodge the worm. They also cough in a harsh manner, lose weight , go off lay and are obviously ill.