Louise

Did anyone see??

Hi all,

I fear putting the cat among the chickens but here we go.

Did anybody watch the supermarket undercover programe yesterday. I have taped it and will catch it at the weekend I just wondered if anyone had seen it already.

Was it as bad as the write ups say. If I do watch it will I ever eat again :?

I saw it Louise and lets put it this way I didn't buy any meat from the supermarket today, and I couldn't stop checking all the ready packed chickens for burns on their legs, when you watch the programme you will see what I mean and make sure you have eaten.............It is pretty grim the conditions that the chickens were kept in were terrible.

I taped it and watched it this morning - it's horrible but I'm pleased they made it - perhaps a few more people will start to take note of what is going on around them. I bought the book which was recommended on here - 'Not On The Label' and haven't stepped foot inside a supermarket since... Serious food for thought...

Make sure you're armed with the tissues... :cry:

Yes, I watched it too, someone (Katie??) had posted about it earlier in the week, so I'd made a mental note to watch it. Both the children watched it too (at the end Imy announced that she was a vegetarian- but she had a bacon sarnie for breakfast :shock: , so perhaps not :?) . Phil was roosting on the sofa whilst we were watching- I made hubby take her out at the ads, bit too much like a chicken horror movie, didn't want her to see those poor chickens suffering :roll:

I had started buying organic meat & veg a little while ago, and whilst our diet isn't entirely organic, I've made a definite effort to eat better quality meat from traceable sources, and eat more vegetables. My meat bill hasn't gone up significantly because we eat less of it, and more cheaper cuts, and because I'm buying meat & veg direct from suppliers I'm going to the supermarket a lot less, so less last minute, temptation buys. I get milk delivered, and buy a loaf of organic bread with my veggie box, and then make 1-2 loaves a week.

The programme didn't suprise me I'm sorry to say, I just hope that a lot of people watched it, and will start questioning the source of their food :?

However, it shut hubby up a bit, he'd made a few throw away comments about me obsessing about food, and what was so wrong about Asda?(our most local supermarket- I hate it, but they do great value printer paper and I bought 2 cheap lilo's for our summer hols there a few days ago, but food :evil: ). Anyway, he's been agreeing with me that the meals I've been making recently are tastier (and my cooking skills haven't improved- just the quality of the ingredients), and last nights programme silenced him completely.

So, a bit of a painful programme, kleenex to the ready when you watch it because it's so hard to watch those poor chickens suffering. But, as well as the awful suffering, which is dreadful, those creatures are entering the food chain, and they're ill, so what are we eating for heavens sake :shock:

I think it was an important programme- just hope it has an impact :?

We noticed such a difference when we started to think about what we were eating. We don't have a lot of chicken now but what we do have is free range and organic and we can taste the difference. The same with bacon - the difference is astonishing - tasty, succulent and no nasty milky residue either - just real bacon fat. If everyone who watched that programme makes the change, it will be wonderful.

The programme didn't suprise me I'm sorry to say, I just hope that a lot of people watched it, and will start questioning the source of their food :?

I think it was an important programme- just hope it has an impact :?

Just what I was going to say!

Excellent programme (missed beginning :roll: )......would like more to be made & more people to view. Suspect it was viewed by mostly already converted though.

Well you have just answered my question in the 'sign the petition' thread. Difficult to watch, but I have felt for years that if I eat meat I have a responsibility to be aware of the 'cradle to grave' welfare of the animals and then of course there is the issue of what we are eating in terms of additives, antibiotics etc.

For those who missed it there is a second installment - Tuesday I think.

By chance my first Sheep Drove delivery arrived this morning and the chickens certainly looked very good. Will report on tasting after Sun.

http://www.sheepdrove.com/article.asp?art_id=38

If other people know of local, and perhaps more usefully for most people, mail order places to get great ethically produced organic free range meat, perhaps they would like to share details.

We did also treat ourselves to a R.C. Pig in a Box last week. Only problem was that it was sooooo good that it didn't last very long. The kids even invited friends round for when I cooked the hay smoked gammon, so there wasn't much left for cold slicing. At least I was doing my bit to educate the next generation about the delights of organic meat - they did all seem to really like it :roll:

I didnt see the programme, but saw one yonks ago about abatoirs - not easy watching. When you realise how expensive free range meat is, it is hard not to close your eyes and just buy the supermarket stuff, but I think when you realise what really goes on it is worth the money - and yes, cheaper cuts / more veggies certainly helps the food bills. Its just a shame that there are a great number of people out there that really cant afford the "luxury" of free range meat and until the food industy does something you cant criticise those on low incomes / with big families, being tempted by cheap meat - especially as we have this thing in supermarkets where it is all prepacked and doesnt look like an animal, so you dont need to "think".

Well I watched it and I'm afraid it was not as bad as I was expecting I have seen worse. It is good that they make these things to make people think about things. And we have the best welfare in Europe :evil:

The next one on tonight is about cattle as well. Be warned it will not be pleasant viewing.

If other people know of local, and perhaps more usefully for most people, mail order places to get great ethically produced organic free range meat, perhaps they would like to share details.

That's a great idea Jane. Maybe a new thread would be good.

Being on holiday, I missed the programme, so will look out for a re-run. Is it a series?

Yes I'd like to know what it's called please. Welcome back Gina.

Programme hit the mark, hope people who don't know about this watched or it gets into papers (don't buy one so you can tell me)

The fat issue (1 pt from a bird making them high fat) was so interesting and in this age of body image issues and weight obsession that's got to be one way to stop the awful conditions and the need to 'grow' a chicken inhumanely and full of chemicals. It's going into the food chain and 'grampian country (where was the country) foods are partly responsible'. Along with consumers again.

I think the world has gone mad when you think how we demand cheap food, tasteless (oh sorry full of salt and sugar to give taste) and in huge quantities. I still find it amzing that a child can think mcdonalds is a meal. Even more frightening is an adult thinking a mcdonalds is a snack!

I will continue to give the message to my clients, back to basics for healthful eating.

Bx

Quote from Grampian's Website

We are one of Europe’s leading food companies. We strive to establish strong partnerships with our farmers, suppliers, customers and consumers, as well as delivering on our commitment to quality.

Quality is used by so many company's. I expect quality to be just that and I know you all do.

I think the eye's off the ball for this company and no doubt other's and the welfare is just not important to them just cheap and plentiful. Interestingly the burns were 'doctored' for sainsbury's, who asked for that I wonder?

If you want to complain to Grampian (as featured in dispatches drop them a line!

New Grampian House,

3 The Boulevard,

City West One Office Park

Gelderd Road, Leeds

LS12 6NX

Telephone: 0113 386 5000

Fax: 0113 386 5133

Email: info@gcfg.com

The programme was dispatches and the second part is on tonight and it features farm animals ie cows over producing milk etc. It is 8pm on Channel 4 I think it also looks at Ducks and Geese from memory of the trailer.

Having seen the state of some UK dairy farms this could be a real shocker for some of you :evil:

Hi Louise I just checked out dispatches on line, thanks for that.

It's a modern problem, don't know so don't care. If this programme shows what can happen then people cat least have the chance to make an informed choice.

Is it just me or has anyone else started wondering what large sheds are for?

Had some friends here last weekend and they said " we don't have alot of money spare because we decided the food we eat was the most important thing, knowing what we are eating".

Having not seen them for a couple of years that was music to my ears. Non of us have children but animal welfare and what we eat still matters so much.

Bx

I know what large sheds are for I drive past Europes largest battery hen operation going to and from work :evil:

Someone I know lives in the same village as the people who run it so I could get a look round but I am not quite tough enough for that :evil:

I have seen some awful farms in my life but equally I have seen some terrific ones. I think it is an education as well as a welfare thing.

Spot on, 'EDUCATION' that's what matters.

The pressure some farmers must be under to produce things so cheap, hopefully the good farmers can be seperated from the poor and then all welfare will at least meet existing standards ( the inspection and implementation of regulations has got to be up to standard to)and then move forward to eliminate substandard and outdated legislation in all aspects of animal husbandry.

Bx

Good news first - the SheepDrove chicken that my son roast for us yesterday was a revelation :D:D:D

Totally superb texture and flavour. Although I have only eaten free range chicken for years now, I think where I have been getting it locally they must use the hybrid Ross.... that matures quickly even though it is free range. I am now going to get all my chicken from sheepDrove. Yes, it is more expensive, but tomorrow we will have chicken curry with the big bits left on the carcass, and then the bones will go into the pressure cooker and to the resulting stock and s"Ooops, word censored!"s of meat I'll add pearl barley, onions, carrots and poss a courgette at this time of year, and get a really tasty broth. I also got giblets with the SheepDrove chicken so the stock will be even tastier. So that's 3 family meals from one chicken - not that expensive after all :D:D

So many people, with their £2 supermarket chicken, just throw away the whole thing after the roast meal :evil:

I'll start a 'Local and Mail Order suppliers of free range/organic meat' thread tomorrow - bit late now :oops:

Cor - Jane, can I come round for dinner, all sounds scrummy.

you were burning the candle a bit weren't you :shock:

I ordered my first organic vege box today from our local farm supplier, (until I can get going on Lesley's square foot gardening) but he only does veg's - no meat. Will have a look at Sheepdrove, sounds wonderful.