new_minilops

Bald Patch

I've just groomed my mini lop and ended up with the usual ball of excess fur...although this time i noticed a bald patch on her back (about where her tail sits). Is this just moulting or something to be concerned about? It's their first summer so just wanted to check. What should i be checking for mite wise? The bald skin looks healthy...

Any advice much appreciated!!

It could just be moulting - mine are losing their winter coats at the mo and it's coming off them in chunks. They don't usually get bald patches from this though. Watch out for dandruff - if you see flakes, chances are it's mites (it's known as walking dandruff and is very common - google it). Just above the tail is a characteristic spot to see bald patches and flakes if it's this. They need injections, which are done weekly - normally at least three are needed to kill off the mites. Get both buns done even if only one has symptoms or they'll just reinfect each other.

One of my girls developed a bald patch on her back last summer through excessive moulting - it looked like someone had used a razor on her back to thin her fur out!! Bless her, she was then left with stubbley hair growth as it grew back!! But like you, I was somewhat concerned so I took her to the vets to have her checked out for mites etc (even though I couldn't see anything and there was no irration there). The vet just checked a bit of her fur under the microscope and all was ok. It was worth the quick visit for peace of mind.