-sarahjayne

-poor lottie, i feel so bad- introducing new hen??

Im very new to keeping chooks. Last sunday we got our first 4. Rhonda came with a sniffle but has fought it off, unfortunately lottie caught it and wasn't able to fight it off. She had bubbly eyes and much trouble breathing so bad she was gasping for air. We rang the breeder who apologised and asked us to bring her back so we can swap her for another one. We have no experience in this so would be no good nursing poor lottie, so we figured we would accept the offer and take her back where she would be cared for properly, or at least the lady would help the pain stop for poor lottie :(

So in about half an hour we're going to take lottie back and pick up a new, healthy chook.

We are extremely low on money at the moment, and cant afford a seperate pen for the new chook. How can we introduce her safely to my existing three:

PP evie - shes really shy and is the bottom of the pecking order

GNR Rhonda - was originally bottom but worked her way up

(Bluebelle) Martha - Is sometimes very violent to other hens despite being told off, [ a sweetie to us though] shes top hen.

:boohoo:

Please help.

:(

The short answer is that you cannot introduce her safely unless as Tom says you can have some free ranging all the time

My reply comes somewhat too late but if it was me I would keep the 'credit' with the breeder and go back foir another hen later on once I had rigged up a temporary run

But then I am a doom and gloom merchant :?

Am glad it has worked out....as you had only had the others for a few days, they won't have fully sorted out their pecking order, so she willl have slotted in without much incident.

Keep a careful eye on them in case they develop the same symptoms as the poorly girl.