CrazyDaizy

"Dwarf" is the size of the ears.... NOT the rabbit

Hia Folks

Our Dwarf Lop eared rabbit Smudge is about 3 years old.

When we bought him we expected him to be small.... i.e. DWARF!

But he grew and grew and grew. He's about the size of a small cat.

Then we found out DWARF is the size of his ears. I suppose in a normal lop earred rabbit, the ears would be a lot longer.

So be warned!!! It is misleading.

I must agree that breeds and their names are confusing... we recently got our bunnies, and I did a lot of research and reading, and the differences between mini lops, dwarf lops and all that were quite confusing to start with...

I had always assumed a dwarf lop would be smaller than a mini lop... and I assumed a Netherlands dwarf would be about the same size as a dwarf lop, but the netherlands dwarf is one of the smallest bunnies, whereas the dwarf lop can be twice as big as the netherlands dwarf...

Also, unless pure bred and guaranteed by a breeder, many 'mini' or 'dwarf' bunnies found around are some kind of mix...

This website lists bunnies by size : http://www.pet-rabbit-care-information.com/best-rabbit-breed.htm

I also found in my research, that advice about temperament, and about what groupings work better (male/female, all males, all females) does vary immensely from website to website, breeder to breeder and generally person to person... Very confusing for beginners!

A friend of mine recently also acquired a bunny but was advised by the sellers to get only one as 'all bunnies will fight' if kept with any other bunny... now she is worried cause her bunny is lonely, and introducing a bunny to another bunny is more difficult, often, than acquiring two bunnies that are used to each other...

The dwarf lop is quite a big bunny for a dwarf!! The ones at the breeder looked very chunky and teddy-bear like!!

I have two mini-lops, aparently sisters from the same litter but one is twice the size of the other!!! Peoples comments make me wonder is she is actually a mini-lop?! I agree, it is very confusing, but she is a gorgeous bunny at the end of the day and i love them both equally, she just takes two hands to grab instead of one!!!