N&J

Should I get 1 or 2 more chickens?

I have 2 Chooks and was thinking of getting 1 or 2 more chickens.

I have read up a bit on how to introduce them - and i was wondering whether adding them 1 at a time is the best way or to do both at the same time.

I have an eglu and a converter and i am creating a larger pen at the bottom of the garden so they can free range.

Is adding 1 chook to 2 ok or should i do both at the same time?

I'd do two at the same time. I added a new girl to my existing two about 6 weeks ago and at times it wasn't pleasant. I am now about to do it all over again but am better prepared!! If I could do it again, I would do 2 together then at least your new girls will have company to escape with, especially if they come togther in the first place.

I have just introduced two new girls to Mavis having just lost Edna. I don't wish to speak too soon but so far they have all been terribly well behaved.

I think introducing 1 newbie to 2 oldies can be bad because the single newbie is on such a weak footing (i.e. alone and new) and all the strength of power is with the 2 oldies (i.e. its THEIR pad AND there are two of them!)

whereas introducing 2 newbies to 1 oldie is not so bad because the balance of power is more equal (i.e. the 1 oldie has power because she knows the territory etc/its her pad but the 2 newbies have strength in numbers which makes up for their uncertainty about the territory) That's my theory anyway :roll:

I introduced my new 2 to Mavis when it was dusk and they were all too keen to get to bed to bother fighting. In the morning I let them all out into the eglu run with great trepidation but everything was fine yesterday - today is their second day together in the run and apart from a few beaky nudges (not what I'd call pecking) they are all getting on fine - they are not being terribly chummy but rather they are all keeping themselves to themselves. 8)

I did think about letting Mavis freerange around the garden (which is what she and Edna used to do every day and she is very keen to get back out) whilst the 2 newbies got accustomed to the eglu but decided that would single her out and might shift the balance of power in their favour.

I think the balance of power will be better if you introduce two newbies rather than one ... but my theory may be silly and I may just have been lucky with my present introductions (or more likely it will all go wrong once I let them start freeranging) .... :?

I think it's far better with two rather than one. Poor old Beryl had a bit of a time with it, whereas when Dolly and Purdy got shoved in, there was no real problem. Poor Beryl still sits outside the eglu for ten minutes after the rest have gone to bed, talking quietly to herself in ppitiful way. Which is silly, because they don't even try to peck her any more. :roll:

I think it depends on the nature of the new chickens. If one of the new ones was used to being boss where she was before, there may be a bit of trouble. But I would get it over with in one go rather than two.

I introduced two new chickens, and the Cochin was docile and kept out of the way while the Wyandotte and my Pepperpot fought to establish who would be the leader. The Pepperpot (half the size of the Wynadotte) won after a couple of unpleasant hours, and it was peaceful afterwards.

I introduced 2 more about 10 days ago. I only separated them the 1st day and then just let them get on with it. They hardly had a break from Belle's 'attacks' in the first 3 or 4 days and I ended up separating Belle from the others a few times just to give the new girls some peace. Beauty has always been 'head girl' but I think Belle worried one of them would take over her second place. They all go in the eglu at night except wee Skye who just perches outside and waits for me to go and lift her in! I've left her till nearly midnight to see if she would go herself but no luck - not sure what to do about that now. Things are settling well with just the usual food squabbles.

Fee, Hunney and Darling were like thiat for the first couple of weeks - they had to be lifted in every night, then all of a sudden Darling just 'got it' one night, and I only had to lift Hunney in. A couple of nights later, she got it as well, and since then I've had no problems.